Author Topic: Kushan coins?  (Read 640 times)

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
Kushan coins?
« on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »
Gentlemen,

I am going to get this coin via swap. The owner told that it is a Kushan coin. Is he right? Any ideas about the time frame and the price?

Sorry, I do not have the weight and diameter yet.

Thanks ain advance!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:41:43 AM by cam »
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Kushan coin?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »
Are you sure this are obverse and reverse of the same coin ?
The left picture could fit with a late or post Kushan copper. But on the reverse these should have either Ardochsho enthroned or Shiva with bull (in varius stages of abstractions). Your right picture i can not attribute fully, but would more likely associate it with for example Vima Takto.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
Re: Kushan coin?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Thanks a lot! You are absolutely right, these are two different coins.

I've added photos of the reverse. Does it help with identification? Do you have any ideas about the pricing?
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Kushan coins?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
Yes, the reverse of the left one shows a very abstracted Shiva. The right one shows a horserider facing right. This makes it either late indo-scythian or early Kushan.

In this state value of each is 5 euros max.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
I am confused. The only Vima Takto coins I have seen have either a portrait or an elephant/bull combination. Can't remember any with a full length figure, though earlier Kushans had them, of course. My lack of exposure to Kushan coinage?

Anyway, I couldn't resist the temptation to show you a Kushan fortress I saw in the desert in Uzbekistan. Actually, it's just a defensive structure to protect the main fortress I was standing on 8)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 01:20:24 PM »
Nope, check this thread.

Very impressive landscape. The fortress from which you had this view must have been even more impressive !

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
Thanks a lot! Then I'll try to get these coins :)

Peter, a Kushan fortress looks very impressive.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »
I saw that thread, but the standing figure (Zeus) is always combined with the ruler on horseback. I could imagine that the reverse shown is pomegranate, trident or whatever, but I have difficulty seeing a horsey...

Thanks for inviting me to show the main fortress also >:D It is humongous and not easy to get on one picture.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »
Impressive indeed, could do with some rain there though.

Quick outline to guide the eye.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
Ahhh! We were talking about different coins. I was looking at the one at left!

Yup. Pretty dry place, but it was blooming nevertheless. Photo taken on the hillside of the fortress. ;)

Peter