Author Topic: Ghaznavids, Shihab-ud-daula Mas'ud I (1031-1041), Dirhem, Andaraba & Ghazna mint  (Read 370 times)

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Noticing TH's comment http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,38733.0/topicseen.html that there was no entry for Masud I, and seeing his rather nice jital, I thought I'd post a picture of a Yamini dirhem from Gazna Anderabah, again with Masud's name prominently shown at the bottom of the reverse,

Ghaznavids, Shihab-ud-daula Mas'ud I (1031-1041)
Yamini dirhem, Ghazna Anderabah mint, 1031 (undated, but citing Caliph al-Qadir (991-1031), one year only type.
5.33 gm, 19 mm, cf. SNAT XIVd, 272-274 but dies not in SNAT

Alan
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:28:54 PM by Manzikert »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Nice addition Alan !
I thought about adding a yamini dirham also. But on the one i have the name is not very well readable.
The index slowly starts to challenge Zeno in completeness.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:14:37 PM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
... which is quite a feat and a service to collectors. Let's help Zeno, an important resource to us, in even more sections.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
An old thread, but like Zeno, also WoC needs some maintenance now and then.
I noticed this thread working on some other Ghaznavid coins. And i'd like to make a small correction to the attribution provided by Alan. I did not notice it at the time, maybe because Alan is usually right, and even included full references. And maybe i learnt a bit extra in the meantime.
The problem is in the top word of the legend in the left picture. For that reads "Andaraba". And that's a different, and much more rare mint than Ghazna. This is not in SNAT Ghazna/Kabul, but in the Balkh volume (which i don't have) i believe. This is Album-1621A. Look here on Zeno.

The reason i encountered this thread was the first coin below (AR 18 mm, 2.77 gr), for that is Album-1621B. Also from Andaraba. Unfortunately, the mintname at the top is almost unreadable. Still attribution is solid because of the word at the bottom on the legend in the left picture. Here is the name "Balkategin". Likely this was the local governor for this region at the time. There is no example in this category on Zeno.

For comparison the second picture below shows a more common Album-1621 type, attributeable to Ghazna mint.
The legend in the previous coins has a reference to the Abbasid caliph al-Qadir bi'llah. The Ghazna type is a little later and has a reference to caliph al-Qa’im bi amri ‘llah.

Anthony

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Thank you very much for the correction Anthony: it shows the great advantage you have over me in being able to read the legends properly!

I have the SNAT Balkh volume, which has just three yamini dirhems for Mas'ud (230-232, none like my specimen), confirming your comment about the rarity of the mint.

Thanks again

Alan