Decimal coins: list of edge inscriptions

Started by <k>, February 26, 2017, 01:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

UK Round Pound Coins

The UK decimal round pound coin was first issued in 1983, circulating alongside the first decimal design series. Until 2008, its reverse design was changed annually as part of a five year cycle that celebrated the UK and its four nations.

YEAR      THEME      REVERSE DESIGN      DESIGNER      EDGE INSCRIPTION   
   1983      UK      Royal Arms       Eric Sewell      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1984      Scotland      Thistle and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT   
   1985      Wales      Leek and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD   
   1986      N. Ireland      Flax plant and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1987      England      Oak tree and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1988      UK      Shield of the Royal Arms      Derek Gorringe      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1989      Scotland      Thistle and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT   
   1990      Wales      Leek and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD   
   1991      N. Ireland      Flax plant and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1992      England      Oak tree and royal diadem      Leslie Durbin      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1993      UK      Royal Arms       Eric Sewell      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1994      Scotland      Lion Rampant      Norman Sillman      NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT   
   1995      Wales      Dragon passant       Norman Sillman      PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD   
   1996      N. Ireland      Celtic Cross, pimpernel, torc      Norman Sillman      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1997      England      Three Lions passant guardant      Norman Sillman      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1998      UK      Royal Arms       Eric Sewell      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   1999      Scotland      Lion Rampant      Norman Sillman      NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT   
   2000      Wales      Dragon passant       Norman Sillman      PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD   
   2001      N. Ireland      Celtic Cross, pimpernel, torc      Norman Sillman      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   2002      England      Three Lions passant guardant      Norman Sillman      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   2003      UK      Royal Arms       Eric Sewell      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   2004      Scotland      Forth Railway Bridge      Edwina Ellis      (Pattern symbolising bridges and pathways)   
   2005      Wales      Menai Bridge      Edwina Ellis      (Pattern symbolising bridges and pathways)   
   2006      N. Ireland      Egyptian Arch Railway Bridge      Edwina Ellis      (Pattern symbolising bridges and pathways)   
   2007      England      Gateshead Millennium Bridge      Edwina Ellis      (Pattern symbolising bridges and pathways)   
   2008      UK      Royal arms      Eric Sewell      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   

In early 2008, the UK adopted a new coin series, and the pound coin received a new standard reverse design, the royal shield of arms, which was issued annually. Additionally, two sets of designs celebrating the four nations were issued in 2010/2011 and 2013/2014 (two coins per year). Special UK-themed designs were issued in 2015 and 2016.

YEAR      THEME      REVERSE DESIGN      DESIGNER      EDGE INSCRIPTION   
   2008 to 2016      UK      Shield of arms      Matthew Dent      + DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   2010      Belfast      Shield from city coat of arms      Stuart Devlin      PRO TANTO QUID RETRIBUAMUS   
   2010      London      Shield from city coat of arms      Stuart Devlin      DOMINE DIRIGE NOS   
   2011      Cardiff      Shield from city coat of arms      Stuart Devlin      Y DDRAIG GOCH DDYRY CYCHWYN   
   2011      Edinburgh      Shield from city coat of arms      Stuart Devlin      NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA   
   2013      England      Rose, acorn and oak leaf      Timothy Noad      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   2013      Wales      Leek and daffodil      Timothy Noad      PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD   
   2014      N. Ireland      Flax and shamrock      Timothy Noad      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   2014      Scotland      Thistle and bluebell      Timothy Noad      NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT   
   2015      UK      Lion and unicorn      Timothy Noad      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   
   2016      UK      Lion, unicorn, stag, dragon      Gregory Cameron      DECUS ET TUTAMEN   

Jody Clark's new effigy of the Queen was issued in March 2015. Three pound types were minted in 2015, but the Jody Clark / Royal Shield version was only issued in sets.

YEAR      OBVERSE      REVERSE      SETS ONLY?   
   2015      Rank-Broadley      Royal shield      No   
   2015      Jody Clark      Royal shield      Yes   
   2015      Jody Clark      Lion and unicorn      No   

In 2016 no pound coins were issued into circulation, but a final special UK design dated 2016 was issued in sets only. The round pound will be demonetised in October 2017.

Translations.

DECUS ET TUTAMEN      An ornament and a safeguard.' From Virgil's Aeneid.   
   NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT      'No one provokes me with impunity'. The Motto of the Order of the Thistle.   
   PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD      True am I to my country.' From the Welsh National Anthem.   
   PRO TANTO QUID RETRIBUAMUS      'What shall we give in return for so much.' The Motto of Belfast.   
   DOMINE DIRIGE NOS      'Lord direct us.' The Motto of London   
   Y DDRAIG GOCH DDYRY CYCHWYN      'The Red Dragon shall lead.' The Motto of Cardiff.   
   NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA      'It is vain without the Lord.' The Motto of Edinburgh.   

<k>

UK Monometallic Two Pound Coins

The first UK two pound collector coin was issued in 1986. It was made of nickel-brass and not intended to circulate. The last one was issued in 1996. The 1986 two pound coin has a variant in the edge lettering. It exists both with 'COMMONWEALTHGAMES', which must be considered an error, and 'COMMONWEALTH GAMES'.

YEAR      THEME      DESIGNER      EDGE INSCRIPTION   
   1986      Commonwealth Games 1986      Norman Sillman      + XIII COMMONWEALTH GAMES SCOTLAND   
   1989      300th anniversary of the Bill of Rights      John Lobban      (Reeded)   
   1989      300th anniversary of the Claim of Right      John Lobban      (Reeded)   
   1994      300th anniversary of the Bank of England      Leslie Durbin      + SIC VOS NON VOBIS   
   1995      50th anniversary of the end of World War 2      John Mills      + 1945 IN PEACE GOODWILL 1995   
   1995      50th anniversary of the United Nations      Michael Rizzello      (Reeded)   
   1996      European Football Championship, England, 1996      John Mills      + TENTH EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP   

* SIC VOS NON VOBIS - "Thus you labour but not for yourselves"

<k>

UK Bimetallic Two Pound Coins

The UK two pound circulation coin was first issued in 1997. Unlike the nickel-brass collector coins of previous years, it was bimetallic.

Standard reverse designs.

1997 to 2015      History of Technological Achievement      Bruce Rushin      + STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS   
   2015 to date      Britannia      Antony Dufort      · QUATUOR MARIA VINDICO   

Translation of "QUATUOR MARIA VINDICO" : "I will claim the four seas".

Circulation commemoratives.

1999      Rugby World Cup 1999      Ron Dutton      + RUGBY WORLD CUP 1999
   2001      Marconi's 1st Wireless Transmission   Robert Evans   ··· WIRELESS BRIDGES THE ATLANTIC ··· MARCONI 1901   
   2002      Commonwealth Games, Manchester   Matthew Bonaccorsi      · SPIRIT OF FRIENDSHIP · MANCHESTER 2002
   2003      Discovery of DNA      John Mills      DEOXYRIBONUCLEIC ACID
   2004      Richard Trevithick's locomotive    Robert Lowe      (Milled with an incuse railway line motif)
   2005      The Gunpowder Plot    Peter Forster      · REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER   
   2005      End of World War 2      Robert Elderton      · IN VICTORY MAGNANIMITY IN PEACE GOODWILL   
   2006      Isambard Kingdom Brunel   Rod Kelly      · ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL · ENGINEER 1806-1859   
   2006      Brunel - Paddington Railway Station   Robert Evans      · SO MANY IRONS IN THE FIRE   
   2007      Abolition of the Slave Trade   David Gentleman      · AM I NOT A MAN AND A BROTHER   
   2007      Tercentenary of the Act of Union    Yvonne Holton      · UNITED INTO ONE KINGDOM   
   2008      London Olympic Games of 1908    Thomas Docherty      · THE 4TH OLYMPIAD LONDON   
   2008      Olympic Handover Ceremony      Royal Mint Engraving Team   · I CALL UPON THE YOUTH OF THE WORLD   
   2009      Charles Darwin      Suzie Zamit      · ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES 1859   
   2009      Robert Burns      Royal Mint Engraving Team      · SHOULD AULD ACQUAINTANCE BE FORGOT   
   2010      Florence Nightingale    Gordon Summers      · 150 YEARS OF NURSING   
   2011      King James Bible      John Bergdahl      · 1511 · YOUR NOBLEST SHIPPE   
   2011      The Mary Rose      Paul Stafford / Benjamin Wright   · THE AUTHORISED VERSION   
   2012      Charles Dickens      Matthew Dent   · SOMETHING WILL TURN UP   
   2012      London 2012 Handover to Rio      Jonathan Olliffe      · I CALL UPON THE YOUTH OF THE WORLD   
   2013      London Underground Roundel    Edwina Ellis      · MIND THE GAP   
   2013      London Underground Train   Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby   (Pattern: underground line on a map)
   2013      350th Anniversary of the Guinea   Anthony Smith      · WHAT IS A GUINEA? 'TIS A SPLENDID THING   
   2014      End of First World War   John Bergdahl      · THE LAMPS ARE GOING OUT ALL OVER EUROPE   
   2014      500th Anniversary of Trinity House   Joe Whitlock Blundell, David Eccles   · SERVING THE MARINER   
   2015      First World War - Royal Navy   David Rowlands   · THE SURE SHIELD OF BRITAIN   
   2015      The Magna Carta   John Bergdahl      · FOUNDATION OF LIBERTY   
   2016      First World War - Army   Tim Sharp   · FOR KING AND COUNTRY   
   2016      The Shakespeare Histories   John Bergdahl      · THE HOLLOW CROWN   
   2016      The Shakespeare Tragedies   John Bergdahl      · WHAT A PIECE OF WORK IS A MAN   
   2016      The Shakespeare Comedies   John Bergdahl      · ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE   
   2016      The Great Fire of London   Aaron West   · THE WHOLE CITY IN DREADFUL FLAMES   

<k>

Fifty Pence Coins.

These have only ever been produced by the Isle of Man, and only on three occasions.

TERRITORY      DENOM.      YEAR      EDGE INSCRIPTION      THEME   
   Isle of Man      50 pence      1979      HM QEII ROYAL VISIT I.O.M. JULY 1979      Queen's visit  - Millennium of Tynwald   
   Isle of Man      50 pence      1980      ODINS RAVEN VIKING EXHIBN NEW YORK 1980      New York Exhibition   
   Isle of Man      50 pence      1994      ROUND BRITAIN RACE 1994      Round Britain Race 1994   

<k>

Round Pound Coins for the UK Dependencies.

TERRITORY      DENOM.      YEARS      EDGE INSCRIPTION   
   Falkland Islands      1 pound      1987 to date      + DESIRE THE RIGHT   
   Gibraltar      1 pound      1988 to 2003      (Alternate sections of reeding / plain)   
   Gibraltar      1 pound      2004 to date      (Reeded)   
   Guernsey      1 pound      1981 to 2016      BAILIWICK OF GUERNSEY   
   Isle of Man      1 pound      1983 to 2016      (Alternate sections of reeding / plain)   
   Jersey      1 pound      1983 to 2016      CAESAREA INSULA   
   St. Helena-Ascension      1 pound      1984 to 2005      COLONY OF ST HELENA   
   St. Helena-Ascension      1 pound      2006 to date      ISLAND ST. HELENA   

<k>

Two Pound Coins for the UK Dependencies.

TERRITORY      DENOM.      YEARS      EDGE INSCRIPTION   
   Falkland Islands      2 pounds      2004      · 30 YEARS OF FALKLAND ISLANDS COINAGE   
   Falkland Islands      2 pounds      2014      (Reeded)   
   Gibraltar      2 pounds      1988 to date      (Reeded)   
   Guernsey      2 pounds      1981 to date      BAILIWICK OF GUERNSEY   
   Isle of Man      2 pounds      1986 to date      (Reeded)   
   Jersey      2 pounds      1983 to 1997      CAESAREA INSULA   
   Jersey      2 pounds      1997 to date      CAESAREA INSULA CAESAREA INSULA   
   St. Helena-Ascension      2 pounds      2002      500TH ANNIVERSARY   
   St. Helena-Ascension      2 pounds      2003 to date      · LOYAL AND FAITHFUL   

<k>

To post comments, criticisms, amendments etc. regarding this topic, please click on the link below:

Comments on "Decimal coins: list of edge inscriptions"

See also: UK Decimals: Overview of Circulation Coinage to Date.

See also the Royal Mint's web pages:

Royal Mint: The One Pound Coin

Royal Mint: The Two Pound Coin

Royal Mint: The Five Pound Coin