Author Topic: Tripura - Vira Vikrama Kishora Deb Barman, Silver Rupee  (Read 238 times)

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
Tripura - Vira Vikrama Kishora Deb Barman, Silver Rupee
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
Here is one more coin from my kitty, which I won in an auction a couple of months back. Picture courtesy to auction house. The coin in hand looks bit better than scan.
India - Independent Kingdoms - Tripura -
Vira Vikrama Kishora Deb Barman, Silver Rupee, 11.67g, TE 1337 Obv: Bust of Maharaja Vira Vikram Kishora Deb Barman facing left, Bengali legend "Pancha Sri Maharaja Manikya Vira Vikrama Kishora Deb Barman Bahadur" anticlockwise around, Rev: Lion Rampant to left with trident to back, Bengali legend "Tripura Rajya above, TE 1337 Tripurabada" (RB# 302, KM# X# 7).

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Tripura - Vira Vikrama Kishora Deb Barman, Silver Rupee
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:19:26 PM »
The date 1337 TE is 1929 AD. The design is indeed influenced by the George V rupees, but it retains a very distinctive Indian character. Wikipedia has more information on and a portrait of the ruler.

A point of interest for me is what you call the trident. Its teeth left and right of the central tooth are pointing down. In view of the fact that it is mounted on a long staff, it is clear that it is a trident. I think this coin is a good argument to call the top of the trident a trident, not a Western heraldic lily. Interesting discussion here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.