Author Topic: Vatican City 2017: New series of circulating coins  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: Vatican City 2017: New series of circulating coins
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »
After just having had a look at the FAQ page that the European Commission released after the Monaco disaster, they confirm that mini states are subject to regulation No 729/2014, which means that Vatican City can not change its coins next year.

Here is the document from the European Commission (typo included).

Why make rules when you are not going to follow them (and bend them as per your wish) anyway! ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 05:57:30 PM »
Don't understand this either. I mean, it was the Vatican that issued an entire "Sede Vacante" set after the death of John Paul II, and apparently that was not OK. So the law was adapted to specifically exclude such cases. Fine, that worked when Benedict resigned (only one 2 coin then) - and now it is the Vatican again that can apparently bend the rules?

Basically I do not have any problems at all with depicting the Pope's personal CoA on the coins, instead of a portrait. But his successor will use something different again ... :(

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
The Head of Euro Cash at the European Commission wrote the following to me:

"The term of 15 years starts from the date on which Vatican City for the last time introduced designs on its circulating coins, this was in 2002, so they are allowed to change the national sides of their circulating coins in 2017"

Apparently this person has no idea at all that Vatican City also changed the national sides on its circulating coins in 2005, 2006 and 2014. It shows once again the incompetence of the usually very arogant employees at the European institutions in Brussels.

Un-be-lievable.

Online Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
The Head of Euro Cash at the European Commission wrote the following to me:

"The term of 15 years starts from the date on which Vatican City for the last time introduced designs on its circulating coins, this was in 2002, so they are allowed to change the national sides of their circulating coins in 2017"

Apparently this person has no idea at all that Vatican City also changed the national sides on its circulating coins in 2005, 2006 and 2014. It shows once again the incompetence of the usually very arogant employees at the European institutions in Brussels.

Un-be-lievable.

hahaha I'm sure that he/she is Spanish, Portuguese, Italian or Greek xD

;)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
Thinking about it it is pretty odd that he allegedly does no longer want to be bound in any way to any initiative of a commercial nature, and then he replaces his portrait by his personal coat of arms. Pretty strange.. or not.. because if he would have instead introduced the coat of arms of Vatican City, his future successors would not immediately be allowed to introduce their own portrait or coat of arms on the coins.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:51:38 PM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
Today I informed the Head of Euro Cash at the European Commission of the fact that Vatican City did not for the last time introduce new designs on its circulating coins in 2002 (which is what she told me) but that Vatican City also changed its circulating coins in 2005, 2006 and 2014.

As a reply to my findings she told me that the goal of EU Regulation 729/2014 is to increase the recognition of the designs on the euro coins. She told me that a change from portrait to coat of arms is not a big thing and she told me that Vatican City only issues few coins per year compared to the other member states of the eurozone.

So after all communications with the people at the European Commission who have approved these designs and with my contacts in Vatican City, I now perfectly understand what has happened:

First of all Vatican City misinterpreted EU regulation 729/2014. They did not know that after new designs were introduced on the circulating coins because of a change of head of state or sede vacante, the 15 years start all over again. They thought they could change the circulating coins every 15 years regardless of any changes that were made because of a change of head of state (and Sede Vacante). When the designs were put up for approval at the European Commission, the particular employees who had a look at this were not aware of the fact that Vatican City changed its coins in 2005, 2006 and 2014. They thought Vatican City hadn't changed its circulating coins since the introduction of the euro in 2002 and so that the 15 years waiting time were over and Vatican City could introduce new designs this year. And of course she is right that this change is not a big thing, and in fact I can not care less about it. But fact remains that these coins violate Article 7 of EU regulation 729/2014 and so that hese designs should have never been approved.

And as a bonus, the FAQ-page in which the European Commission wrote that the mini states are subject to EU regulation 729/2014, today suddenly disappeared. Magic!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:45:18 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
Vatican replaces image of Pope Francis on euro coins

BY AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published Sat, Jan 28, 2017 7:06 AM

VATICAN CITY The Vatican will stop minting euro coins bearing Pope Francis' image beginning in March, religious news agency I.media reported Friday, January 27, saying the coins will now carry the Vatican's coat of arms and European Union stars.

The EU's official journal on January 24 published pictures of the Vatican's new coins (8 pieces ranging from one cent to two euros), and they show that Pope Francis' image has been replaced.

The image on the tails side of the Vatican coin is the same as on all of the other eurozone coins.

Pope Francis, who is known as "the pope of the poor," has railed against the negative power of money.

Yet, because of their rarity, the coins that have borne his image since 2014 have become collector's items.

They are legal tender everywhere in the eurozone but people who find them through sales generally resell them on the collectors' market.

The existing agreement between the EU's monetary union and Italy, which the Vatican relies on to mint its coins, includes a quota especially for the Vatican.

The first annual series of papal coins entered circulation on March 1, 2002 bearing the image of then Pope John Paul II.

Source: Rappler
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Vatican City 2017: New series of circulating coins
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:40 AM »
The annual BU set of Vatican containing new coins will be issued on March 2nd.

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
The price of the BU set is 37. On the same day, other sets will be issued too: The proof set with a 20 silver coin (Christ the child with three archangels) costs 160 euro, the proof set with a 50 gold coin (Our Lady Untier of Knots) can be had for 1090 euro. There will also be a coin card with a 50 cent coin that costs 3.50 ...

(Side note: While the coin now features the Pope's personal CoA, the card does have a portrait of Francis.)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
The price of the BU set is 37. On the same day, other sets will be issued too: The proof set with a 20 silver coin (Christ the child with three archangels) costs 160 euro, the proof set with a 50 gold coin (Our Lady Untier of Knots) can be had for 1090 euro. There will also be a coin card with a 50 cent coin that costs 3.50 ...

(Side note: While the coin now features the Pope's personal CoA, the card does have a portrait of Francis.)

Would have bought a set, had I been lucky enough to be in UFN's registered customers' list. ;) I hope the set becomes cheaper after the euphoria is over, and then may be I'll get one...

Aditya

Offline quaziright

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »
From my experience at the wmf , the recent Vatican sets were available for 50eyros which is not a bad price after you factor in tax and post. Eventually I simpler paid a 9 premium for a set of Francis and Benedict. Of course the JP2 and sede Vatican sets are much more expensive.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
From my experience at the wmf , the recent Vatican sets were available for 50eyros which is not a bad price after you factor in tax and post. Eventually I simpler paid a 9 premium for a set of Francis and Benedict. Of course the JP2 and sede Vatican sets are much more expensive.

True that! I was talking about the new (2017) set, which is essentially a new type set from Vatican and this more collectors are interested in it. It's being sold for anywhere between 70-80, which is still too much I think. I do believe that the price will come down once it's actually issued (today) and all the dealers receive their orders...

Aditya

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
Behind the scenes of UFN Vatican City (and the finished product):

Offline onecenter

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »
Holy mother of God, by hand, no less.
Mark

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 07:04:02 AM »
Can't believe that this process is manual! And those ladies are not even wearing gloves! :o

Packing some 80,000+ odd BU sets + ~ 200,000 2 sets (2 per year with mintage of 100k each) manually is certainly not my idea of joy...

Aditya