Author Topic: 2.5 Gulden Netherlands Indies 1898  (Read 2090 times)

Offline borgx

2.5 Gulden Netherlands Indies 1898
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
I heard that 2.5 Gulden Wilhelmina 1898 is realy.. realy worth a lot.. is that true? Can I see some images?

Thanks.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Re: 2.5 Gulden Netherlands Indies 1898
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »
@ Borgx,
There is no such thing as a Netherlands Indies' 2 Gulden.
The home type Netherlands' 2 Gulden also circulated within the Indies.
The image of the young queen was rather popular, and with a mintage of only 100,000 those coins now are rather expensive.
A good quality copy may well cost you US$ 1,000 or more.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline thelawnet

• AC/DC Numismatist.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:53:43 AM »
These coins to me are problematic as Indies coins. Although they were legal tender, at other times so were 8 Reales, Lion Dollars, Persian rupees, etc, none of which would normally be considered as having much connection with the Indies.

BC Numismatics

2.5 Gulden Netherlands Indies 1898
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »
@ Borgx,
There is no such thing as a Netherlands Indies' 2 Gulden.
The home type Netherlands' 2 Gulden also circulated within the Indies.
The image of the young queen was rather popular, and with a mintage of only 100,000 those coins now are rather expensive.
A good quality copy may well cost you US$ 1,000 or more.
Regards,
a3v1

Rob,
  I didn't think that Dutch coins were legal tender in the colonies,especially the Netherlands Indies.

Perhaps 1 Netherlands Indies Gulden was equalled to 1 Dutch Gulden.

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »
Two different situations:

Before Napoleon, Dutch circulation coins could not be exported to the colonies (but plenty of smuggling took place). The only coins accepted by the authorities for tax payments were VOC coins and silver and gold trade coins. Among the silver and gold trade coins were coins struck in the Netherlands that did not circulate there to any large extent. These were: leeuwendaalder, silver rider (ducaton), silver ducat, gold rider and gold ducat.

Once decimal coins were introduced in the Netherlands East Indies, Dutch coins were valid there also. In particular, Dutch half gulden, gulden and rijksdaalder pieces circulated in the colonies. In that sense, the 1898 rijksdaalder is also a coin of the Netherlands East Indies.

I can't imagine a collector of Dutch coins leaving large decimal Dutch silver out because they circulated in the Indies. I even find it hard to imagine them leaving out half gulden pieces because they circulated almost exclusively in the Indies. However, I can very well imagine a collector of the coins of Indonesia putting them in, unless he also collects Dutch coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
Rob,
I didn't think that Dutch coins were legal tender in the colonies,especially the Netherlands Indies.
Perhaps 1 Netherlands Indies Gulden was equalled to 1 Dutch Gulden.
@ Aidan,
As usual, you are totally wrong. Some few Netherlands Indies Guilders have been minted in 1821, 1839 and 1840. After that only small change, up to Guilders, has been minted especially for the Netherlands Indies. Besides these the homeland types of , 1, and 2 Guilders also circulated in Netherlands Indies until WWII.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Samuel Tan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:19:31 AM »
a3v1 is right, Nederlands Indie has no 2 1/2 gulden until WWII, and they were minted in Philadelphia and San Fransisco, since German occupied The Netherlands. In fact, Ned Indie never have 1 or 2 1/2 Gulden until then, except Willem I: 1 Gulden year 1821, 1839 and 1840 (I have the last two). But Netherlands Gulden is available and used in Ned Indie. I never forget my dad told me that when he was left orphaned by the aged of 11, he could survive until 18 to receive his inheritance, because his mother collects lots of 2 1/2 Gulden in soap crates in the attic. I suspect they don't need to mint larger currency for Ned Indies since they buy the spices dirt cheap and sell in Europe 60x, I saw their document in their archive!

Who collects Nederlands Indie, I could help you guys. I almost completed my Ned Indies and have doubles in good conditions. We could swap with German, The Netherlands or US.
Samuel Tan
samueltanh@gmail.com