login

Author Topic: Gibraltar 2017: New series of circulating coins  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Gibraltar 2017: New series of circulating coins
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
I can confirm that UK coins can and do circulate in Gibraltar. In fact, what little change I got there was British (but that's not a representative sample).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »
Thanks Peter.  I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure.  I've been to Gibraltar once but that was just a day trip back in 1999.  So they definitely would have an issue with counterfeit coins then. 

The arrogance/naïveté of the Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories always astounds me.  What they really mean is that, whilst thousands of transactions involving counterfeit £1 coins must take place in these territories every day, ultimately it isn't their problem as they can just send UK coins back at intervals.  As with Jersey and Guernsey, the majority of coins circulating are British anyway, so I do wonder how often they really do send any back.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
There is no news on it which is not really strange as the commemoration of the referendum and most of the events surrounding it still have to take place.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
The 50th anniversary of the referendum is under two months away (10 September) and as it's not dependent on anyone remaining alive, there wouldn't be any harm in announcing anything before it happens.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
The 50th anniversary of the referendum is under two months away (10 September) and as it's not dependent on anyone remaining alive, there wouldn't be any harm in announcing anything before it happens.

Your message does not make any sense to me. The unveiling of the new coins is obviously part of the celebrations, the celebrations have yet to take place so why would they give any information in advance?

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
The Royal Mint do it every year!  When new sets are released, coins marking anniversaries that have yet to happen are common-place.  I appreciate Gibraltar is different and it's not the Royal Mint, but to say my post makes little sense is a slight over-reaction. 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
Making sense and making sense to eurocoin is not necessarily the same. Both of you, try re-reading before you post, please. It is easy to give offence and easy to react in a prickly way, but it's no fun for anyone and this site is about having fun.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
The designs are ready but are still awaiting royal approval, which is expected any day now. It appears that it is a circulating commemorative series of coins (one year type).

At the ANA World Fair of Money in Denver yesterday, Pobjoy Mint was representing Gibraltar. It does occasionally happen that when the mint of a certain country is unable to attend that a random coin dealer represents the particular country. It has however to my knowledge not happened before that a mint has represented a country which is not its customer. I do not understand it, certainly also as Tower Mint has been minting the circulating coins for the Government of Gibraltar in recent and less recent years and will be doing so for quite some years to come. I have asked Pobjoy if they are again minting for Gibraltar and am awaiting a reply.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:36:59 PM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:38 PM »
Pobjoy Mint has confirmed that they will be minting 2017 dated 1p coins of Gibraltar for the 50th anniversary of the referendum. Likely the other coins in the series will be minted at the Tower Mint. It is rather strange that this happens as Tower Mint has the minting contract with the Government of Gibraltar.

Also surprising that Gibraltar apparently continues to mint the 1 pence coin (at least for sets that is). They have not done so for quite some time.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Less than a week to go until the 50th anniversary and the designs have not yet been approved by Buckingham Palace. Such approval was already expected to be in over a month ago but it has still not happened.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 01:18:07 PM »
I was informed by the Government of Gibraltar that they are planning to issue the referendum coins soon. In contrary to what Pobjoy mentioned, according to the government the series will start from the 5p denomination.