News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Satavahana: Gautamiputra Satkarni, overstrike Western Kshatrap Nahapana, 3 coins

Started by mitresh, January 07, 2017, 06:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Satavahanas, Gautamiputra Satkarni, Silver Drachm, over struck Western Kshatrapa Nahapana, Mitch KA 142

The coins weigh 2.45g, 2.08g, 2.45g respectively. The overstrike symbols are (a) Ujjain 'cross-and-balls' (b) arched-hill, applied on Obv / Rev.

Coin No. 3 shows the silhoutte of the undertype portrait of Nahapana.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

THCoins

Nice collection ! It is interesting that on many of these the undertype is still very well discernable. One would have thought that if the Satavahana really wanted to crush the memory of Nahapana they could have done a better job. My hypothesis is they might have done this on purpose. For the general population likely trusted the old silver coinage and might not respond favorably to new coins. Seeing the undertype might be interpreted as a proof of quality by the people ?

Figleaf

My reasoning would be slightly different. The coins of the Western Ksatraps were struck with a single die. Those of their conquerors were struck with a number of loose punches. It would have cost time and money to flatten the earlier die altogether and the symbolism of the old ruler's portrait being covered with the signs of a different religion is probably in line with Gautamiputra Satkarni's ambition.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

I do not think it has something to do with the use of loose punches. The Satavahana overstrikes are raised, not incuse. There usually is no sign of the edge of the overstrike die impressed in the original coin. So i would not conclude these were smaller than the original flans. With a little more strike force much more of the original coin could have been erased. But it was not. So one might think this was done intentionally. You may be right that the new punches could be considered as grafitti tags, also intended to humiliate the conquered ruler.

mitresh

I think the latter explanation by Anthony more plausible ie humiliate your vanquished enemy by super-imposing own symbols on the enemy's bust/portrait in such a manner that the remnants of the undertype is still discernible but the obvious triump and superiority of the conqueror is also present upfront to leave no doubt who's the new 'boss'.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.