News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Falkland Islands: 50p 1977, and International Year of the Child (1980s)

Started by <k>, December 30, 2016, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

FI Elderton.jpg

Robert Elderton produced these designs for the Royal Mint, around 1981.

They were intended for the International Year of the Child coin programme.

Ultimately, the Falkland Islands did not participate in the programme.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

<k>

Figleaf

Mr. Elderton got his children quite well. I like the first design, which aptly shows a child's willingness to learn, open mindedness and naiveté, perhaps coupled with a charming imitation of adults. The third design is noteworthy for the pure fun at mobility it shows.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on December 31, 2016, 01:33:17 PM
I agree on the wreath. Mr. Elderton got his children quite well. I like the first design, which aptly shows a child's willingness to learn, open mindedness and naiveté, perhaps coupled with a charming imitation of adults. The third design is noteworthy for the pure fun at mobility it shows.

The bolded bit perhaps answers my criticism of that design. Children do not naturally bend over like that; it is a feature of adults to bend at the waist and not so much at the knee, thus sticking their backside in the air. Just walk down a residential road in summertime and observe people gardening if you want confirmation of this. My entirely unscientific observation moreover is that women are more likely to bend at the waist and men to squat, but still more men than children do as the girl here is doing. A child wanting to examine something at knee height will squat right down on her haunches, go down on all fours, or sit on the ground. But if the girl is imitating the awkwardness of adults when presented with something more suited to a child's dimensions, then as you say, the design works.

eurocoin

Completely agree with FosseWay on this. Elderton made a mistake here.