News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Sultans of Bengal - Hussain Shah - Mintless type - G&G B773

Started by jazz, December 18, 2016, 09:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazz

I found this rather crudely engraved Hussain Shah tanka. I believe this is G&G B772 - it ends with sulatanahu. I can read a 3 at the bottom of reverse, but G&G mentions 914 for this type.

Is my attribution correct, and could this be an unlisted type?

Thanks,

Vishal

THCoins

Great find ! Still no expert on these but checked in G&G. I think G&G calls your upper picture the reverse. Because of the text arrangement here i would favor B773 ? For this no date is given, and the part where the date should be on the G&G specimen is flat struck.

Found another specimen of B773 on WoC through the index here. Please compare.

jazz

Thanks Anthony. I compared it to B773, but in this case, the last line of obverse (2nd picture) is visible - and ' abu al muzaffar'. I also do not understand the 3 at the bottom of reverse.

Vishal

S. M. Iftekhar Alam

The reverse of this coin is like that of B773 where sultanahu is below the word allah. On the other hand, on rev of B772 sultanahu is in the same line as the words allah and mulkahu. Date looks like 913 (1 & 3 are very clear) and it can be traced on rev just below sultanahu. As type is concerned, I would place it under B773. Obv legend and its arrangements are same for both B772 and B773. So, type of the posted coin will fall under B773 even though the style of its obv legends matches more with B772 than B773.