Author Topic: Fascinating Coin - ID Help - Artukid Dirham ?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline CameronK

Fascinating Coin - ID Help - Artukid Dirham ?
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:24:24 PM »
Greetings. I came across this in an auction recently, and it really struck me. It appears to have a Roman or Byzantine-like portrait, with Arabic script. It was listed as a Dirham of Sukman II (1185-1201), from the Artukids of Kafaya & Amid.

Does anyone have an opinion on that identification? it's a large coin and the strike really stands out off the planchet of the coin. (30 mm, 12 g). While not apparent in this scan, there's a red patina or heavily work red dirt on the piece.

I invite any comments. I really was fascinated by this coin because of it's apparent transitional nature!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:42:44 PM by THCoins »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Fascinating Coin - ID Help - Artukid Dirham ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 09:51:49 PM »
It is a coin of Nasir al-Din Artuk Arslan of the Artukids of Mardin, 1201-1239 (597-637 H), Spengler & Sayles 37.2 (598 H) or 37.3 (599 H) but I'm afraid I can't read enough of the inscription between the points of the star (the date) to say which it is.

Alan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
Agree with Manzikert on attribution.
This is a nice characteristic specimen of the type. Only minor fault is that the facial features have been worn off. I think i would leave the earthen patina on the obverse as it is. But i'd might be tempted to brush the reverse a bit to see if the text can be made to stand out a bit more.

Offline CameronK

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
Thanks for the opinions on this coin. I've enlarged, and added contrast, to the region where the date should be, if this might help nail down the date. Thanks again!

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:56:51 PM »
Unfortunately I think the two segments you've enlarged are the ones with 'Duriba sanah', 'struck in the year', whilst the one we need is the one to the left of these which should give the digit of the date.

Looking more closely at this I think it probably reads 'eight', which would make the coin S&S 37.2, 598 H.

Alan

Offline CameronK

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:20:06 AM »
Thanks again for the opinion. I think I have the section you requested in this enlargement. If not, I'll try the other side!