News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Vandals!

Started by Pellinore, November 20, 2016, 12:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

A Vandal coin of King Gunthamund. A name like a block of stone! (Unfortunately, my parents thought they'd better call me Paul, after the saint). Because of this coin I decided to quit collecting Migration Period coins. It looked interesting. I thought, a follis type Roman coin in barbaric fashion. (Most probably, not only mine but also your forefathers are descending from a long line of inveterate barbarians.)

I bought the coin for a lot of money, and when it arrived I discovered it to be a puny undersize minuscule minicentenionalic microcoin. Also, on further consideration, the portrait turned out to be particularly ugly, the king almost looked like a vandal caught in the act.

Vandals, Gunthamund (484-496), AE nummus, Carthage. Obv. Pseudo-legend, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Gunthamund right / Rev. Cross within wreath. 10 mm, 0,79 gr. BMCV pl.VI, 33-43, WA4126.
-- Paul

THCoins

I like it ! It looks very fine for one of this category, especially as these are so small. I'd even say i find this category more interesting than the mainline Roman emperors.

You are lucky your parents did not call you Gunthamund. Just imagine how the other kids in school would have picked on you for that name !

Pellinore

Thank you. The condition is excellent, that must be said. By the way, there are not many secular rulers called Paul, only Paul of Greece and Paul of Russia come to my mind, the last one a bit mad. And do you have nice Vandal coins for us to show?
-- Best wishes,
Gunthamund