Author Topic: City State Erich, Copper Karshapana  (Read 664 times)

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
City State Erich, Copper Karshapana
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
Erich (a town in Utter Pradesh, India) was known as Erikachchya in the old period. Attached a coin from there.
Obv: Brahmi legend Erikachchya (E-Ri-Ka-Chchya) between horizontally places railed tree and bow & arrow
Rev:Bow & arrow on Left, tree in railing on right
The flan is thin and the coin is stuck very powerfully. Hence the impression is pretty clear.
Weight 3.19 gm.
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: City State Erich, Copper Karshapana
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:08:10 PM »
Took me five minutes to convince myself that you were right with the given legend. Not to easy to read, but when you see it it is very clear. Definitely not a beginners coin, but an advanced treat !

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:13:31 AM »
Thank you for confirming my reading. Incidentally this is the first time I am able to read Brahmi! Due to only four letters and a definite starting point of the word, that was possible. Also Dr Pieper helped a lot with a clear picture.
Attached my overlay.
Saikat

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »
Very interesting piece, Saikat. Thanks to your detailed explanations, I can now understand every element of the design. It must be magnificent to handle such an old piece and imagine who used it...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.