Author Topic: Saffarids of Sistan, A short lived later ruler of a local dynasty  (Read 2133 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
The Saffarids of Sistan were a later branch of the Saffarids. The great Saffarid dynasty had come to an end thanks to the Ghaznavids.
The Nasrid family clan took over control of the Sistan/Nimruz area as Ghaznavid, and later Ghorid, vasals. The best known Nasrid ruler was Taj-Ud-Din Harb. He had a long reign from 1167 to 1215AD. His coinage is quite abundant. Several types have been shown on the forum before.
After Taj-ud-din Harb, a number of short lived rulers filled the short interlude to the invasion of the Mongols around 1222AD, which brought an end to the dynasty.
Below is a coin of one of these rulers, Taj-ud-din Nasr bin Bahramshah. He was put on the throne by the local nobles in 1221, bus soon replaced by his brother Rukn-ud-din Abu Mansur. Apart from this, not much is known of this historic figure. His coinage is easily recognized as "typically" Sistan, but it is scarce. Though a bit off-centre, most of the inscription is very nicely readable.

BI 17 mm max, 2.54 gr, Tye#127
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:06:09 PM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Saffarids of Sistan, A short lived later ruler of a local dynasty
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »
Bad idea to stand in the way of a Mongol army. Genghis Khan had a simple system. The day they arrived, they erected a white tent. If the city surrendered, the population was spared. The day after, the white tent was replaced by a red tent. If the city surrendered, "only" the males of fighting age would be killed. Thereafter, a black tent went up: a promise that everyone would be killed. Several cities were black-tented. Sistan was one of them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:50:50 AM »
Bad idea to stand in the way of a Mongol army. Genghis Khan had a simple system. The day they arrived, they erected a white tent. If the city surrendered, the population was spared. The day after, the white tent was replaced by a red tent. If the city surrendered, "only" the males of fighting age would be killed. Thereafter, a black tent went up: a promise that everyone would be killed. Several cities were black-tented. Sistan was one of them.

I never heard about this story before.  I would be interested to get a source, prior to the 21st century. 

A Wiki citation leads us to Tamerlane rather than Ghengis Khan - but that 1998 text itself gives no earlier source. 

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
I also have my doubts on the factual basis of this Mongol siege story. I believe this idea was popularized thanks to a book by Conn Iggulden; Genghis, birth of an empire (2008). I could not find any reference to contemporary 13th century reports.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »
Source is some popular article I apparently deleted from my hard disk. Maybe it got the idea from the novel. Don't know. I do read that Iggulden used The secret history of the Mongols, but that's no guarantee, of course. Guarantees must be paid for. Anyway, se non Ť vero Ť bene trovato and the fact is that Sistan was sacked by the Mongols.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »
Just found out that I have Iggulden's book Lords of the bow in my library, so it may indeed have come from there. In the Historical Note at the end, Iggulden writes: "The system of white tent, red tent, black tent, was used by Genghis as I have described...". He obviously read more about Genghis than I did, so I suggest you contact him through his web sites. There is a list of them here.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 01:27:28 PM »
Followed my own advice and fired off a short email. I'll keep you informed.

Peter

Offline Tariq

Identification Help
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
Kindly help in identifying this coin

Weight 2.2 gram
Diameter 13 mm

Thank you

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Identification Help
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 08:07:37 PM »
Nice specimen of a scarce coin !

Saffarids of Sistan in name of Taj-ud-din Nasr bin Bahramshah 1221 AD.
I showed one recently here. But yours is the better in quality. If you don't mind i will merge it to the other thread to have the two together ?

Anthony

Offline Tariq

Re: Identification Help
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »
Thank you very much for this help.

Sure you can merge this.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
Done, merged the two together !

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »
Received the following answer to my query:

Itís not Connís reference, but I have done a quick search and one reference that might be helpful is here:
Stewart, William (1998). Dictionary of images and symbols in counselling (1st ed.). Jessica Kingsley. p. 105. ISBN 1-85302-351-5.

Part of the text of the book is available in Google books, but page 105 is not. Murphy's law...

Peter

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 04:28:37 PM »
This reference seems to be of not much use. Looking at the treatment of other lemmas it just touches each subject in one paragraph. Likely the interesting subject is "colour". It does not reference many primary sources in the other lemmas. So not much hope that this will provide any convincing evidence.