Zands, Karim Khan, 1177 AH, Silver, Rasht mint (1172-1193 AH)

Started by aws22, September 03, 2016, 05:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Zands, Karim Khan, 1177 AH, Silver, Rasht mint (1172-1193 AH)
Please help with this coin:
Weight 4.56 gm
Diameter 24 mm
Metal Silver
Although this coin has similar inscriptions "شد آفتاب و ماه زر و سیم در جهان / از سکه امام بحق صاحب زمان" to Karim Khan coins but there is slight variation as seen in the second photo of this coin, it looks like the word Isma'il is after "جهان بحق". Please help with date?

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Manzikert

There is a coin of Karim Khan from Resht in Farabaksh which seems to have the same legend and is dated '117', but with the digits differently arranged: I attach a scan, and maybe Saro can help us again with checking the inscription?

Alan

aws22

Many thanks Alan, there two "1"s at ten O'clock and the "7" is at two O'clock of the second photo. There is a fourth "7" at three O'clock on top of the letter "h" of Jehan. I expect 1177 AH is the date for this coin, I hope Saro will have a say in that.

Maythem

Figleaf

I am unhappy with the blue-greenish spot in the centre of the coin. Please "scratch" with a wooden toothpick. If hardly anything comes off it is safe. You can probably remove it with a long olive oil bath if you wish.

If a blue-green powder develops, you should keep this coin away from any object containing copper and remove the spot completely. It is bronze disease. As the name indicates, this usually develops on copper and bronze coins, but a silver coin that was in contact with a copper or bronze object may develop the same symptoms. Bronze disease will keep growing and "eat" all the copper in the coin. If you search this site (from the home page) for "bronze disease", you will find several discussions, techniques and recipes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, olive oil works well in such cases.

Maythem

saro

Date is well 1177 (in red color on 1st picture) and the text is : (the one posted by Maythem with just addition of "ya Karim")
شد افتاب وماه سیم در جهان از سکه امام بحق صحب الزمان یا کریم
with "al-zaman & ya Karim" on left
arranged like on the following sketch :
(the "B" of "aftab" (sun) and "hib" of "sahib" are the two separating lines)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Manzikert

Thank you very much for that Saro: I'd assumed the second '7' was just part of the ornamentation :)

Alan

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22