News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Rukn al Din Barbak Three Chamber Silver Tanka

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, July 25, 2016, 09:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

Ruler: Rukn al Din Barbak
Bengal sultanate
Three chambers on both side without mint
'Seal of Solomon' shroff. This shroff became popular among Arabs in medieval period. Later in 19th century this symbol started to be largely used by Jewish.

THCoins

Very interesting combination of coin and countermark ! Downside of the very nicely struck countermark is that it flattened the other side a bit, but you can not hvae it all. I have never seen this type of countermark on a Bengal coin. The use of the star does seem to have been numerous also on copper coinage in central Asia between 100-1400AD.

Figleaf

You will also find this symbol on many Moroccan coins. They were issued much later, but the state of Israel came about even later. Note that a sheriff's star usually has 5 points :-X :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Figleaf on July 25, 2016, 07:13:03 PM
You will also find this symbol on many Moroccan coins. They were issued much later, but the state of Israel came about even later. Note that a sheriff's star usually has 5 points :-X :)

Peter
OMG! Peter, taking your comment as a source I started to swarm and now I am now in deep ocean of knowledge or information. At this stage I desperately need a compass and binocular!

Figleaf

:D :D :D

Information is not necessarily knowledge.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed."

― Mark Twain

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

But what I now am in conclusion is that, this symbol either we call it as 'star of David' or as 'Seal of Solomon' is misnomer. It is an occult symbol created by cabalistic magic from Egypt to medieval period from middle east to modern age. The group attached name of David and Solomon with this symbol.

Figleaf

It is a misnomer. It is very easy to construct: divide a circle in five parts with points. Connect the separation points clockwise or anti-clockwise, always skipping a point. When you are back on the starting point, you have a 5-pointed star. On some Moroccan coins you can actually see this method in three dimensions.

You can imagine how nice it is to discover a good decoration anyone without the slightest talent for drawing can construct with a compass and a ruler.

Peter

Manzikert

Yes, but that construction is for the five point star (as on the more modern Moroccan coins and the sherrif's star), not the six pointed star as on the countermark, the 'Magen David' and 'seal of Solomon' on the older Moroccan coins. As an aside, it also appears in the margins on the Rupees of the Suri dynasty, both in Dehli and Bengal.

Ghiyath al-Din Jalal Shah Suri II of Bengal, rupee, 969 H, no mint., reverse top margin

Alan

Figleaf

You are right, but it makes little difference on the argument. It is also easy to construct in a circle and as a symbol, it is much older than either Morocco or Israel, though employed by both. While there are several interpretations, the most widely used is based on seeing the six-pointed star as two equilateral triangles, the European/Arab equivalent of yin and yang in East Asia: two opposites that complement each other. It could be the confrontation of water and fire, male and female, air and earth (the basis of the Solomonic interpretation of invoking angels and driving off demons) etc. Freemasonry used it (and the pentagram) as a symbol of the whole, the all-encompassing and you will find it used as a power symbol in alchemy and witchcraft. In India, it is considered to be nine triangles and a form of the Sri-Yantra mandala (a geometric design within a circle).

There are plenty of ways the symbol could have reached Bengal and there is little chance that it had anything to do with Judaism.

Lovely coin, BTW. Great patina, well struck, nicely centred. Enjoyed ogling it. Did you see the smiley right of the hexagram? Evidence that chatting was invented centaries ago in the Bengal sultanate ;)

Peter

Manzikert

No I'd not noticed the smiley, but to put that right  :)

Alan

Md. Shariful Islam

I think all these sourced from Occultism. Segments of people from all religion were involved in that practice. An unconscious sin became part of their life. I see link of SunGod from ancient Egypt to Sun of Bengal, Eye of Ra of Egypt to Eye symbol on Bengal coins, Bull to Taurus, etc. And finally this triangles, Hexagons, etc. All are linked.