News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Qajar, Ahmad Shah, 1328 AH, Silver White Shahi, Tehran mint

Started by aws22, July 23, 2016, 07:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Qajar, Ahmad Shah, 1328 AH, Silver white shahi, Tehran mint
KM#1031
Weight 0.069 gm
Diameter 17 mm
Metal Silver
Small and light weight coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Manzikert

These 'shahi sefid' (white shahi) were intended mainly as 'nowruz' (new year) presents, so though they were only worth 150 dinars they were struck on broader and thinner planchets than the smallest other silver denomination, the quarter kran or 'robi' (250 dinars). This made for a slightly more impressive present at a lower cost.

I only have one, of Nasir al-Din from 1307 H (1890), 0.83 gm, 17 mm, KM 889. (I assume yours is actually 0.69 gm, not 0.069 gm)

When the official mint stopped making these (after 1344 H, 1925-6) privately made 'shahi sefid' were produced in base silver, silvered brass and white metal, and I even got a brass one from our local Iranian restaurant last year.

Alan

aws22

Thank you Alan for the useful information, sorry about the weight, I have rechecked it and it is 0.65 gm and now I am in doubt about the metal which to me looks like silver and not brass. I could be wrong but it does not matter, it is a lovely coin and I love small and tiny coins.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Manzikert

I think it will definitely be silver, only the later unofficial tokens were brass or silvered brass.

As you say, these tiny pieces are beautiful: I wish I had more.

Alan