Author Topic: Iran, falus with bird looking back  (Read 668 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Iran, falus with bird looking back
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
24 mm / 7,42g
This copper coin should belong to the Qajar period; there is no specific mint name  but only "falus Iran". it seems that there are small digits of a date at bottom  ???
The reverse shows a bird looking back; a strange animal indeed with duck head and peacock tail...
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Iran, falus with bird looking back
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »
After having an attentive look at this bird : the legs are not visible but the drawing suggests the water surface and I think that it could be a duck swimming while preening its tail...if I am correct it's an original drawing  ???

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:11:50 AM »
Like the style of the coin a lot, whatever the bird is !
I would guess a peacock was intended, but the maker did not have very good drawing skills.
If a duck had a tail like this, it would drown..

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
If a duck had a tail like this, it would drown..
Well noticed, it could be a hybrid ! :D

That reminds myself a persian tale :"the vainglory peacock" in which a peacock loses its marvellous tail feathers in a tempest and was saved by a duck...
here an extract, for fun :
 "I am strong and big, I am the Sultan of birds, I do not fear the storm! Will not save me! "The peacock stood, so standing on the way of the wind, and the wind was even stronger. Suddenly a plume of peacock's wing broke away, then another and another ... it was then the turn of the tail feathers. Peacock tried to run away, but the wind did not allow it. He heard amid the wind whistling duck, who called him, shouting: "Come with us until the storm subsides." Peacock gave him a disdainful look and said, "Fi these futile words! Me, the Sultan of birds, make me miserable in your nest, with feathers so long! You are a poor and small duck...."

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
I wonder if the "beak" is not the remnant of an earlier coin the design was overstruck on. I see a solid circle on the text side and dotted circles on both sides and they do not seem to make sense in terms of the centre of the design. There also seems to be a wavy circle to the right on the text side that does look correct.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.