Author Topic: Iran, Qajar / civic copper of Urumi, lion & sun  (Read 716 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Iran, Qajar / civic copper of Urumi, lion & sun
« on: June 03, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
20mm / 3,40g .
Undated copper coin struck under Qajars showing a lion to left holding a sword & sun
the legend is : "zarb Irumi falus Iran"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Iran, Qajar / civic copper of Urumi, lion & sun
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:34:57 AM »
I am having difficulties locating the town of Urumi. The best I have is Urumi'yah, but that name apparently dates from 1979 only. It may have had the same name before, though, as its previous name was Reza'iyeh, a clear reference to the disgraced shah.

Anyway, it looks like you are modestly presenting a rarity from a little-known mint?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 08:29:55 AM »
Yes Peter, the "Urumi" mint of Qajars is the today "Orümïyeh" in iranian Azerbaïjan, on side of the (salt) lake of the same denomination.
As you pertinently( ;) ) said, the city was renamed "Rezaiyeh" by the Pahlavi and after the fall of the last Shah, returns now close to its former name.

As far I know, this mint is only known for the Qajars period, and isn't, I think, the commonest among iranian civic coppers

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
Another nice one! these coins are now highly sought after & prices go high when any appear on Ebay  :o
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »
these coins are now highly sought after & prices go high when any appear on Ebay
Yes Vic, and given these high prices, fakes will not delay to appear (a little like for Mysore coppers)  :-[, ; most of these coins are not catalogued and types are so numerous that it could be a gold mine for pirates sailing on eBay.
Few already exist and are quite easy to detect, nevertheless they are sold nearly at genuine prices...and customers seem to be happy with them according to feedbacks !