Ancient Indian, Please help attribute.

Started by asm, June 20, 2009, 01:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Please help attribute this ancient Indian? coin. The coin weighs 3.8 g.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

Finally attributed by an FB friend as being a Shiva Magh from Kausambi.

Would welcome any more information on the coin and the dynasty.

Amit

THCoins

I don't think i saw this post earlier, sorry. I am not at all convinced by the suggestion.
However i will make you an, i think, better suggestion.

Based on:
- I think your bull is a horse for i can clearly see bridles.
- On the other side there's a square block in the corner of a square frame.

I would look under the indo-Scythians for the square coppers of Spalahores, Vonones or Azes.
I believe you will find a far better match under one of these. On one side is a horseman, on the other Hercules sitting on a square block. (You have to turn your right photo 90 degrees anti-clockwise.)
This design is the idea, but your coin seems to show just a fragment.

asm

Quote from: THCoins on August 06, 2014, 04:10:30 PM
I don't think i saw this post earlier,....
Dear THCoins, this post was from 2009. I had lost hope on the attribution of this coin when suddenly on FB, I saw one person selling many ancient coins. He responded with the reply that I posted. Any ways, I'd trust your knowledge for sure.

Quote from: THCoins on August 06, 2014, 04:10:30 PM
However i will make you a better suggestion.

- I think your bull is a horse for i can clearly see bridles.
- On the other side there's a square block in the corner of a square frame.

I would look under the Indo-Scythians for the square coppers of Spalahores, Vonones or Azes.
I believe you will find a far better match under one of these. On one side is a horseman, on the other Hercules sitting on a square block.
As you would have seen, my knowledge of anything pre 1526 AD is almost nonexistent. I will try to get a better picture in natural sun-light this week end and will mail it to you. May be it could help further attribution.

Amit

THCoins

Dear Amit,
And i know virtually nothing about the coinage post 1200 AD. But thats wher we try to help eachother fortunately  :) !
I saw that your earlier post was from 2009. But as a moderater i previously did some sweep-up rounds among the old posts to try to solve as many open posts as possible. I missed your old post during this.
Better photo's would be nice, especially to determine is some of the surface structure is part of the design or formed by corrosion. Due to the aspect i mentioned i have some confidence that my first idea is right, that is is an unfortunately quite damaged Indo-Scythian.