Author Topic: San Marino 2016: William Shakespeare  (Read 2788 times)

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
San Marino 2016: William Shakespeare
« on: April 29, 2016, 06:24:07 AM »
In September of this year San Marino is going to issue a 2 euro commemorative coin to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the death of William Shakespeare. The coin has been designed by Matthew Bonaccorsi. 85,000 of these coins will be minted.

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: San Marino 2016: William Shakespeare
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
The BU coin will be issued on September 22. Price of issuance is 16 euros. 80,000 coins will be issued in BU quality. 5,000 pieces will be included in the proof sets.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »
While Shakespeare's connection with San Marino is a subject of deep research ;), I don't like the design either. The designs on British £2 coins are better IMO...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 06:59:04 PM »
The design is not great but not lousy either - from the portrait I would probably guess Shakespeare even without an inscription, so it can't be all that bad. :)

As for the connection, well, the Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino has a Shakespeare Garden! Oh wait, that San Marino is in California, hehe. Also, Shakespeare's "Sir Thomas More" will be performed in Domagnano which actually is in the Republic of San Marino ...

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »
There's a clear connection. Shakespeare begins with an S and San Marino begins with an S.

So, that's a clear reason to have a Shakespeare coin.  ;D ;D ;D >:D

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
Also, San Marino is only 200 km away (linear) from Verona where the Bard's famous characters Romeo and Juliet is set. And who knows where Shakespeare spent his "lost" years ... >:D

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »
Unfortunately, the famous balcony of Juliet in Verona is made of a Roman sarcophagus that was installed in its present place only after Shakespeare died. Details, details :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
Hehehe. But wait, if Verona has a fake balcony (for a fictitious character) and even charges admission for that, San Marino can have this coin ... and issue it above face value of course. :-\

Christian

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 08:25:26 PM »
Larger image of the minted coin

© UFN San Marino

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 04:17:43 PM »
Just received my copy of Shakespeare and I'm very delighted by the quality of the coin! Looks much better than earlier issues from San Marino. The coin arrived all the way from San Marino to Mumbai and it didn't take much time. The coin was forwarded to India from Milan (Italy) on October 19 (I don't know when was it dispatched from San Marino) and it's  here today. Less than a week, including the custom's checking. Impressive! 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
In view of the R (Roma) mintmark and Italian financial services being concentrated in Milano, your coin was probably never in San Marino.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »
In view of the R (Roma) mintmark and Italian financial services being concentrated in Milano, your coin was probably never in San Marino.

May be. A friend of mine from Italy once had told me that he drives to San Marino on the day of issue of a particular coin, visits their numismatic office and buys it directly from there...

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
The ones I get from there do come from San Marino. :) In envelopes with nice stamps (I'm not a stamp collector but will often have a look at them), and the postmark always says Arrivi Partenze Dogana R.S.M., thus Arrivals Departures - San Marino Customs. Apparently they are shipped from Rome to the SM customs office ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 04:15:02 PM »
The ones I get from there do come from San Marino. :) In envelopes with nice stamps (I'm not a stamp collector but will often have a look at them), and the postmark always says Arrivi Partenze Dogana R.S.M., thus Arrivals Departures - San Marino Customs. Apparently they are shipped from Rome to the SM customs office ...

Yes, I agree that AASFN puts some beautiful stamps on letters it sends out to its customers. I have kept all the letters from AASFN even after taking the coins out of them, it's very hard to just throw them out like that. Same is the case with Finland and Spain. Least attractive stamps are from Germany. ;)

Aditya

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
In contrary to many other collectors, I have only once had stamps on a package from AASFN. All other times just a shipping label  :-\