Sirohi quarter anna?

Started by Rangnath, June 15, 2009, 09:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

No image is provided in the Standard Catalog for the one coin of Sirohi State.  If Sirohi included Mount Abu, I visited the place in 1975. Mount Abu seemed a paradise in the month of May, coming there  by train as I did, from a heat wave and dust storm in Jaipur.

One ruler is listed in the catalog:  Sheo Singh, VS1873 to 1919/ 1816 to 1862.  The one coin is said to have the denomination of 1/4 anna, copper with the legend on the reverse as "Zarb Raj Sirohi".  The coin had previously been listed under Jodhpur, probably because of its scimitar. The sword looks much like those on Jodhpur coinage. 

I'll post images of three coins.  The first was pulled from Zeno and had comments there by Jan Lingen:  "The legend on those copper coins of Sirohi is very corrupt. The obverse legend has been deciphered as Zarb Raj Sirohi, Sanah 1910 (or 1901). The coins were known as Sheosahi, which indicates that they were first struck during the reign of Sheo Singh (1847-1862).
Presuming the dates to be in the Vikrama Samvat era, VS 1910 (= AD1853) is the most plausible interpretation." . 

The second coin I recently purchased and seems to have sanah 1910. The third is for sale by a dealer in Jodhpur. It has similarities but does not seem identical to the other two.

The catalog lists the coin as a quarter anna. Elsewhere it is described as a paisa. Which is correct? Is the third coin posted also a Sirohi "paisa"?

1)  the Zeno coin
2)  my coin
3)  the dealer's coin

richie

Oesho

All three coins are the same, only showing different parts of the oversized die.
Paisa or 1/4 anna. It's about all the same.

Rangnath

Thank you Oesho, for both parts of your answer. 
richie 

asm

Here is one that I could find after a lot of looking.........

As Richie mentions:
Quote from: Rangnath on June 15, 2009, 09:41:38 PM
No image is provided in the Standard Catalog for the one coin of Sirohi State. One ruler is listed in the catalog:  Sheo Singh, VS1873 to 1919/ 1816 to 1862.  The one coin is said to have the denomination of 1/4 anna, copper with the legend on the reverse as "Zarb Raj Sirohi".  The coin had previously been listed under Jodhpur, probably because of its scimitar. The sword looks much like those on Jodhpur coinage. 

Comments on Zeno by Jan Lingen:  "The legend on those copper coins of Sirohi is very corrupt. The obverse legend has been deciphered as Zarb Raj Sirohi, Sanah 1910 (or 1901). The coins were known as Sheosahi, which indicates that they were first struck during the reign of Sheo Singh (1847-1862).
Presuming the dates to be in the Vikrama Samvat era, VS 1910 (= AD1853) is the most plausible interpretation." . 

Besides the coins posted by Richie, my coin too sees to show 010 for what would actually be (19)10.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

I am amazed that anyone can read anything on these coins. Also, I am gratified that Oesho's VS-theory is borne out by this highly interesting coin. A very worthwhile find, I think. Thanks for posting, asm.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.