Author Topic: Rassid and less Rassid  (Read 770 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Rassid and less Rassid
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:01:37 AM »
Saw both of these objects last week in Maastricht, the resplendent Rassid dirhem at TEFAF and the other one in the next street.
-- Paul
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:41:46 PM by Pellinore »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Rassid and less Rassid
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Would not have thought that there was also much coinage on display at TEFAF. And, were you able to extend your art collection with another Picasso or Brancusi ?
The similarity between the coin and the sewerlid does demonstrate that people have a natural drive to decoration and appreciation of symmetrical figures.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »
Not many coins, in fact I saw only one seller, Tradart from Brussels. This time, Mieke Zilverberg didn't show coins, only Aegyptypiana. I didn't buy anything, but by Jove, what a lot of eye candy.
-- Paul

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 08:47:27 PM »
Manzikurt shared his recollections from the World of Islam conference of 1976, mine is a different one - of the great Turkish numismatist Cuneyt Olcer.

He gave a very lively talk - showing slides of scores of Ottoman ornamental coppers, alongside pieces of decoration from Islambul mosques showing just the same patterns.

Some of the audience were critical, but I thought it a most entertaining piece.  I doubt I ever saw any of the coppers since.....

Rob

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:14:58 AM »
Note that the star has 6 points, the manhole cover 8 points. Here's a modern coin from Morocco, Y 20.1, rial 1321 Birmingham. However, Moroccan coins abound in stars, 5, 6, 8 and 10 pointed. Just to show that a) these parallels have great entertainment value b) you shouldn't read too much into them.

If you cannot draw living things, it is natural to fall back on geometric patterns and when you start experimenting with lines in a circle, multiple squares or parallelograms, you end up with star shaped outlines pretty quickly. The proximity of the shapes just show that they come from a similar culture. That said, it's still fun to compare.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.