Author Topic: Coin of Parataraja Datavharna, s/o Datayola I  (Read 907 times)

Offline coinlover

Coin of Parataraja Datavharna, s/o Datayola I
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »
The Pāratas were a dynasty of Indo-Scythian kings who ruled the area that is now the Pakistani province of Baluchistan, from the 1st century to the 3rd century CE.

The dynasty of the Pāratas is thought to be identical with the Pārthava of Iranian literature, the Parthians of Greek literature, and the Pāradas of Indian literature.

The Pāratas, an Iranian people and ruling dynasty from what is now western Pakistan, are known essentially through their coinage, which typically exhibit the bust of a particular monarch on the obverse ( having long hair within a headband), and a swastika within a circular legend on the reverse in Kharoshthi (usually copper coins) and sometimes in Brahmi (usually silver coins). Coins depicting Pārata monarchs have been found in and around the district of Loralai, Balochistan, western Pakistan. This may have been their capital.

(Source : WIKIPEDIA)

This is a copper coin of Parataraja Datavharna (265-280 AD), s/o Datayola I. Diameter is 19.4 mm and weight is around 4 grams.

Obv. King standing left.
Rev. Swastika with Kharosthi legend Datavharnasa datayolaputrasa paratarajasa around.

I have tried to read the legend with the help of Dr. Pankaj Tandon's three monographs on Paratarajas as best as I could. The Kharosthi legend is to be read from right to left i.e. in anti-clockwise sense.

Anjan
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:52:51 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Coin of Parataraja Databharna, s/o Datayola I
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:18:23 PM »
Congratulations on this aquisition ! Great specimen of a rare coin seldom seen in this conditon. I never even saw one of these in real life i think. I think this is the same ruler that previously to the work of Tandon was called Vhunamtavhaspasa ?
I still struggle with Kharosthi, especially because the Paratarajas again have a little bit different character forms than the Indo-Greeks and Indo-Scythians. I wonder why you write DataBharnasa, while i think Tandon used DataVharnasa ? Also in your transcription you spell ..BharNa.. , i would have thought VhaRna more logical. Lastly you transcribe Pa and Pu as the same shape, while you do not transcribe the small crescent attached to the stem of Pu which makes the difference between these two. Overall i think you you did a great job on the transcription though !

Anthony

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coin of Parataraja Databharna, s/o Datayola I
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:02:44 AM »
Overall i think you you did a great job on the transcription though !

I'll second that. You turned a vaguely stamped coin into a dignified witness of long gone times. Your coin write up is good fun to read and excellent background information.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coinlover

Re: Coin of Parataraja Datavharna, s/o Datayola I
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:19:29 AM »
Thank you Anthony, thank you Peter for your encouraging words. These are really the incentives which a junior coin collector and numismatist seeks from the peers and the seniors. Anthony, you are right it should be  VhaRna. Have you seen my last post on Maues coin ? Please see and comment on that.

Link to Maues coin :
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,34804.msg219376.html#msg219376

Also incorporating the corrections, as suggested by Anthony.

Anjan
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:54:53 AM by coinlover »