Author Topic: Anything bigger than this?  (Read 11106 times)

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: Anything bigger than this?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 03:18:12 AM »
 A couple replies are in order.  I think the Ptolemy was struck, but the but the engraving is not deep. I can't locate my copy right now.  They are available, i have had mine for
for several years. I bought it from a friend who was a dealer out of Cyprus. It had bronze [copper] disease and that was in the days when BD was the kiss of death - straight to the bin. So I bought it and went through the treatment routine  and it is fine with only a tiny bit of scaring. If i can find it I will post it.

Bruce

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Anything bigger than this?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 06:08:00 AM »
The heaviest coin in my collection is a French €100 silver piece (Ag 900) which weighs 50.0 g. (The silver in it is only worth €20.25 at current exchange rate). ::) The coin was made available for face value though.

Anybody really willing to see how it looks like? ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 07:27:15 AM »
Fixed the link  ;D

Thank you !

I see there a massive Octobol coming in at 48mm - 91.2gm  Sv412
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »
I wasn't allowed to visit that link.  ::)

Nor me but spotted the break and cut 'n' shut it together. ;)

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 07:34:43 PM »

Anybody really willing to see how it looks like? ;D

Aditya

Yes please!  ;D

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 12:24:22 AM »
Cr stands for Craig. The catalogues of Yeoman and Craig were in the 1960s what KM is today. When KM started out, it used Y and Cr numbers. Almost all country chapters were re-numbered, but the Russia chapter still uses Y and Cr numbers plus (for the older coins) KM numbers. On top of that chaos, Y and Cr numbers overlap, so you can't use the original catalogues and expect that collectors using KM will understand *sigh*

Attached is one of those Russian heavyweights, in the name of Ekaterina II, as impressive as her coins, not only by deeds (she's known as Catherine the great), but also by her weight (she famously died by collapsing her toilet). Ekaterinenburg mint (EM), dated 1763.

Peter

I nearly bought one of these at a coin fair today, but they seemed just a little bit expensive considering the condition - most had some verdigris or were just a bit too worn. :(

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
They are popular, therefore more expensive than you may have expected. Nice specimen are quite expensive. Wear is permanent but green can be removed and diminishes the price.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline davidrj

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »
My largest copper, 39.5mm - Struck by Boulton who was trying hard to get the contract to mint coins for the new French Republic, these tokens had limited circulation before being banned by government decree in September 1792

David

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 12:53:55 PM »
That's a handsome piece David. I would imagine they're not common if they were banned so quickly. I love the mottled toning in the first picture. :)

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 02:01:33 PM »
They are popular, therefore more expensive than you may have expected. Nice specimen are quite expensive. Wear is permanent but green can be removed and diminishes the price.

Peter

In a box for £15 a pop. I'd pay that for a problem free example, but in the main these weren't. :(

Offline davidrj

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 02:55:35 AM »
That's a handsome piece David. I would imagine they're not common if they were banned so quickly. I love the mottled toning in the first picture. :)

They're not uncommon in decent nick, though there are some scarce varieties, you can pick up a decent grade one quite cheaply see
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Coins-/11116/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=monneron&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

Good article on the Monnerons here http://sohomint.info/issued.html

David
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:10:34 AM by davidrj »

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »
Thanks David.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 12:21:55 AM »
Good point, David. The Monnerons include chunky pieces of copper also and are easier to come by in a nice grade.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bacchus

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
I'm not sure what the largest coin I have in my collection is.  I have a catherine 5 Kopeks (actually a few) and a cartwheel two pence - but the winner might be this Falklands £25 - which wasn't intended to circulate of course.  The only reason I have it was because I spoted it going for near face value on eBay about 10 years ago.

It's 150g 0.9250 silver and 65mm wide

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
I claim first prize for island of Yap stone money  ;D
Vic