Author Topic: Malta: New Series of 2 Coins Commemorating Prehistoric Temples in Malta  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Starting this year, Central Bank of Malta will issue a 2 coin commemorating Prehistoric temples in Malta. There are seven coins planned, which means that the series will continue till 2022.

First coin in the series commemorates Ggantija temples. Design, issue date, mintage etc. are not known yet. So more details later. :)

The coin will also be a part of annual BU set (with special mint mark). Loose unc coins will be without any mint mark.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Malta: New Series of 2 Coins Commemorating Prehistoric Temples in Malta
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »
First in the series: Ggantija temples. (I think) this is the final design...

Edit: As Niels pointed out in reply# 2, this is NOT the actual/approved design. It's just a fantasy design made by someone...

Aditya
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:10:06 PM by Bimat »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
First in the series: Ggantija temples. (I think) this is the final design...

Aditya

No this is just a fantasy design. This coin will be minted at Monnaie de Paris and not at the Royal Dutch Mint.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Further information:

Interesting that Malta is going to issue a variant of the coin with a special Maltese 'mintmark' (though both variants will be minted at Monnaie de Paris).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:53:12 PM by Niels »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
No this is just a fantasy design. This coin will be minted at Monnaie de Paris and not at the Royal Dutch Mint.

Thanks, I'll amend my previous post to indicate that it's not the actual/approved design.

Aditya

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
The special mintmark will be the F that can be seen in the star under the date.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The monnaie de Paris using an F? Are you sure?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
The monnaie de Paris using an F? Are you sure?

Peter

The F is a special Maltese 'mintmark' that will only be minted on the BU coins. The coins for circulation have no mintmark and the coins in coincards have the mint and mintmaster mark of the Monnaie de Paris. I have enquired at the Central Bank of Malta about why they chose the letter F as a mark on the coin.

All coins have been minted at the Monnaie de Paris.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
As for using the "F", in Greece that was used too, with part of the coins dated 2002 (also "E" for Spain and "S" for Finland). I find it surprising as well, but it would not be a premiere ...

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Right. F = France. Hadn't thought of that.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Right. F = France. Hadn't thought of that.

Peter

Possible but why "F=France" as a "special Maltese mintmark". Of course the entire idea of the 3 variants of this coin is for commercial reasons only but still it doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 10:06:14 AM »
The F is a special Maltese 'mintmark' that will only be minted on the BU coins.

Will that special mint mark be present on all denominations (which are part of the BU set) or just the 2 commemorative?

aditya

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
I just called Mr Saliba, director at the Currency Operations Office of the Central Bank of Malta, he told me that the "F" mark has been assigned by Monnaie de Paris and it refers to the mint. It is just a variant of the mintmark of Monnaie de Paris. The other coins in the Brilliant Uncirculated set won't have this "F" mark. The F is not an abbreviation.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Further on to that, the F has earlier been used by the Monnaie de Paris as mintmark on the circulating coins of Greece (1,2,5, 20 and 50 euro cent) dated 2002 and on the 2 euro coin of Malta that was issued in 2008. And so it turns out that Peter was right and F is in fact 'France'.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:59:35 PM by Niels »