Egyptian coins

Started by mrbadexample, February 26, 2016, 01:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbadexample

Sorry, this one's not good. ø21mm, base metal not silver, 3.6g. Unfortunately it's so worn I can't even guess at the correct orientation, but something tells me one of you will know what it is. ;)

Cheers,
MBE

mrbadexample

There. Should save your neck a bit.  :P

capnbirdseye

from Turkey I would think
Vic

Figleaf

Close. Egypt 5/10 qirsh 1293/13 (1887), KM 291.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Thanks Peter - good work! :)

mrbadexample

Would this be the same, but a later date?

Figleaf

That's a different type. Here is the 0.2 qirsh of the same series, showing the other side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Sorry Peter, I just meant is it another Egyptian 5/10 Qirsh?

Edit: Note to self: it's 5 milliemes.  ;)

mrbadexample

I'm learning a bit here, I think - the design in the middle is the toughra, or signature of the sultan (is this Sultan Abdul Hamid II?), and the other side shows an arabic numeral for the denomination? What about the second one - can you tell me the year and who the figure is please?

mrbadexample

That's gone some way to identifying the coin I was going to post next, which I'll post here because it's obviously Egyptian too. The toughra appears similar to the first coin, although it's hard to be certain. It's larger, at 24mm, so I'm guessing this may be 1 Qirsh? Can you tell me the date please?

Thanks again,
MBE

Pabitra

Pabitra

1941 was King Farouk in Egypt

mrbadexample

Quote from: bagerap on February 26, 2016, 02:36:24 PM
Turkey 40 para 1327 ah 1916/17 KM# 779

That'd be right, I said it must be Egyptian. :D How come they have the similar toughra?