News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

re-struck Jawad paisa

Started by Rangnath, June 05, 2009, 12:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Once again the irrepressible, unflappable, semi ignorant collector of hammered coins in his desperate search for a coin from Jhabua has found a potential object of his desire.  Gentlemen, Richie offers you this coin as a possible candidate. 

The Question:
Is this a coin from Jhabua Sate?

richie

Salvete

Rangnath.
The design looks very Jawad like, but the execution shouts 'Copy!'  In that part of Malwa there appear to have been a number of places copying coins from the area round about, as we discussed previously.  May this be one of them?
Salvete.
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

I've looked at quite afew Jawad coins since I posted this one and I agree with you Salvete.  I changed the subject heading accordingly.  I think I'll try to make the headings for such enigmatic coins uniform for search purposes. Thanks for bringing this one to our attention.
richie

Salvete

It is always great fun looking at coins that have puzzled our colleagues, isn't it?  Sometimes they announce themselves in the titles in the list of threads, but if they were drawn together as you suggest, I think we could save ourselves time, and that would not be a bad thing.  I think you should do as you suggest, Rangnath.
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Salvete

Sorry to raise an old subject back to life, but I've just realised why this looks like a Jawad coin, but 'not quite right'.  It is because it has been struck twice on the side without the flower, causing the flower to get a bit flattened.  It sems that older Jawad coppers were sometimes  restruck, probably at Jawad again - and possibly to obliterate a design of a previous ruler?  Anyway, we can see parts of two dies on the other side, but I cannot sort out which ones they are.  From what I saw in a colleague's collection, it may be that any given die might have been matched with two or more other designs on occasions, possibly to avoid wasting a die with life left in it after its partner had 'passed on'.  Anyway, I feel pretty sure this is a re-struck coin of Jawad.

Salvete

Rangnath

Very interesting Salvete.  Oesho drew attention to another re-struck coin yesterday I blieve.  Recognizing that the strangeness of a coin is in fact due to a multiple strike is a good skill to have.  I changed the title. Perhaps I should eliminate the "enigmatic copper" label. What do you think? 
richie

Salvete

Yes, Richie, That would be OK by me, unless someone has any objection, or thinks differently about this specimen?  I've never really thought of Jawad as being 'enigmatic' but that is a new perspective that merits consideration   ;D.

Salvete

Rangnath

OK Engipress, Overlord or Amit; what is the "meaning" of "Jawad"? 
Just wait and see Salvete. I'm betting that "Jawad" means "Puzzle"!
richie

Salvete

More likely it means 'dusty'!!

Salvete

Oesho

Read the description of Jawad at Wikipedia and demand for copper coins becomes evident.
Jawad was part of the Udaipur princely state and was later occupied by the Marathas. Jawad have many famous and big temples. This town was surrounded by shahr kot (like fort) with Five major gate and 56 bastil, in 1901 more than 36 banker families were engaged in moneylending business and at that time this town was important business center of the maratha kingdom (gwalior state). Earlier it was having largest agriculture area under opium production, now-a-days vary limited area falls under opium production.

Salvete

Thanks for the insight, Oesho.
Salvete

Rangnath

WOW! 36 banking families sounds excessive!  And all that in a rich opium producing area.. I do not really need to use my imagination to see the connection between that and the output of coppers!
Thanks Oesho.
richie

birder

I have believed this coin to be from Jhabua. It is quite similar to the one shared by the OP- Richie. Kind comments are welcome from knowledgable members.

Abhay

No doubt, it is Copper paisa from Jawad under Gwalior Princely State.

Just refer to this thread for a similar coin:

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,20516.msg139039.html#msg139039

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

birder

Thank You sir. You may be right.

One side is quite similar but the other side is completely different. It does not appear to be the same coin.