Author Topic: Silver Drachm of DaHra Sena of Traikutaka Dynasty  (Read 1056 times)

Offline coinlover

Silver Drachm of DaHra Sena of Traikutaka Dynasty
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »
The Traikutakas were a dynasty of Indian kings who ruled between 388 and 456 AD. The name "Traikutakas" seems to derived from the words for a three-peaked mountain ("Tri-kuta"). The Traikutakas are mentioned in Kalidasa's Raghuvamsa, in which they are located in the area of northern Konkan. The dominions of the Traikutakas further included Aparanta and northern Maharashtra.

The coins of the Traikutaras are found extensively in southern Gujarat, and southern Maharashtra beyond the Ghats. Their design is very close to that of the Western Satraps, from which they probably inherited some territories, and traces of the obverse legend with Greek letters can still be seen.

The Traikutakas reckoned in a specific era, known as the Traikutaka era, or usually the Kalachuri or Chedi era, starting in 249.
[Source:WIKIPEDIA]

A very nice write up about Traikutakas by @THCOINS can be found here,

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,28745.0.html

This is a silver drachma of Traikutaka ruler DaHra Sena S/O Indradutta. Its weight is 1.85 Gms.

Obv. Bust of king right.
Rev. Chaitya. Three short lines below. Brahmi legend "MaHaRaJeNdraPuTra  PaRaMa  VaiShnaVa  Sri  MaHaRaJa  DaHraSeNa" around.

I have tried to make an overlay of this coin. After getting confidence, I have tried to make an overlay of one of the @THCOINS's Dahrasena coin also. Anthony, please correct my mistakes.

Anjan
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:11:44 AM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Silver Drachm of Vyaghra Sena of Traikutaka Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »
A big :applause: for the overlays, Anjan. I am sure they will increase understanding, including your own.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Silver Drachm of Vyaghra Sena of Traikutaka Dynasty
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
Hello Anjan, great achievement ! Congratulations with this one, i think you earn our admiration because you have not made it easy to yourself. The Traikutaka script on the coins is commonly a bit degenerated and far more difficult to read than the inscriptions on the Gupta and Western Satrapal coinage.

I do have some major comments though. The most important problem i have with your first transcription is that i am not convinced of your reading of Vyaghrasena. I don't think the inscription can be confidently read as such. With this i have to express some caution though, as you have had the coin in hand, i have not.

To treat your reading systematically:
You read MaHaRaJa VyaGhraSena. The "Vya" indeed has to have a loop as you drew. however, what i see here is a small lineshaped character. Where you have drawn the loop on the coin are the three dots that represent the sun above the three-arched hill. So i think this is "Da"
Where you transcribe "RaJa DahRaSena"i think it reads "RaJenNdraDaTta. Especially the "Tta" aksara seems clearly present on your coin. You had to stretch you "Na" to become very long to fill the space of Tta.

Then some minor points: You transcribe the "Va" aksara as a line, and indeed that is what it very much looks like on the coins. For better readability i would indicate the triangular shape of Va that was probably implied by the writer.
You spel "DahRaSeNa". That is incorrect, as than the Ra would be similar to the Ra of PaRaMa and MaHaRaJa. Instead it is a double long character with a curve in its stem. So it is a compound character and the correct transcription would be "DaHraSeNa".

Hope you will see this as constructive criticism, for as said, i think you did a very good job on a difficult coin !

Anthony

Offline coinlover

Re: Silver Drachm of DaHra Sena of Traikutaka Dynasty
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:39:18 PM »
A Big Yeah ! Yes I can clearly see my wrong attribution. Because not only Tta but Ndra is also very clearly visible on my coin. So this is not a Vyghra Sena coin but another DaHraSeNa coin albeit with a more complete legend. Thank you very much Anthony for your helpful guidance.
And thanks to Peter also.

Thanks and regards,

Anjan
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:08:26 AM by coinlover »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Silver Drachm of Dahra Sena of Traikutaka Dynasty
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
No thanks, this is quite a difficult subject with no single textbook, so we have to help each other.

I think you mean the book of Plant. I had a copy, but gave that as a present to someone i lost touch with since. I never really focussed on the mainstream Arab coinage and was a bit disappointed by the lack of focus on more eastern/northern indian arab influenced coinage. So i am sorry i do not have one any more. I did see an original for sale online not so long ago for only 20 dollars so i guess it is still fairly easy to get.

Anthony

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »
There is also a cheap Kindle version of the Plant book.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 12:37:20 AM »
I have a copy of the 1st edition of the Plant book and can scan the pages if you'll PM me your address and the numbers you need.

Alan

Offline coinlover

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
I am adding the corrected overlay of my DaHra Sena coin. Anthony, please check.

Anjan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
On this last transcription i do not have any major criticism, it looks fine. I might have transcribed a few of the aksara a little bit different to approach the correct Brahmi charactershape more, for example the Va and Tta character. But that is a choice, not a matter of correctness. You chose to more faithfully draw what is present on the coin and that looks great !

Offline coinlover

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »
Thank you Anthony.

Anjan