Author Topic: copper coin with countermark " Raj" / Afghanistan ?  (Read 732 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
copper coin with countermark " Raj" / Afghanistan ?
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
 Square counterstamp with " Raj " / 10,24g
A similar coin has been previously posted by asm in 2010 and its origin was discussed
see : http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,8168.msg56716.html#msg56716  ( 2nd coin of this thread)

This present coin belongs to a lot of afghan coins (Barakzaï mainly) obtained 20 years ago, and I think that it has been countermarked on an old (unidentifiable) copper coin for circulation in Afghanistan or far N-E India, as suggested by Ken Wiggins in ONS newsletter 151 (winter 1997); speaking of this square countermark with "raj " he said:
"it is a small, neat countermark which is on a Durrani copper coin dated AH 1225. I have been unable to trace the exact coin in various publications."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:04:48 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: copper coin with countermark " Raj" / Afghanistan ?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 11:25:46 AM »
Looking at this coin, I realize that the countermark isn't "Raij " but clearly "Raj " !
This ctm is listed by Ken Wiggins together with "Raij" counterstamps.  (ONS Newsletter 151) and so, this coin could have been in use in Kashmir area under Sikh rule.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:05:05 PM by saro »

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »
I have a number of these, the way the word is written varies, mine here also looks like raj instead of ra'ij   (9.48g)
The interesting part with these is that they are not cmkd on worn coins but they appear to have been deliberately flattened first to erase the previous legends. It's usually impossible to see the origins of the base coin as this could give a clue to where it was cmkd.

This is not so commonly amongst cmkd coins from elsewhere and this would make me think your coin would not be Afghan,  they were happy to do multi overstrikes on anything that was available
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »
I agree, these countermarks "raj"(rule), most probably, are not of afghan origin; afghans used to stamp "raij"(current) to re-validate copper coins of various origins; according to K.Wiggins, they were stamped at Amritsar by a Sikh workshop, likely for   use in Kashmir. As Kashmir at this trouble time has been ruled by Durrani, Sikh, Barakzaï & British, it is likely possible that they could have been used in neighbouring countries?
I don't know if "raj" ctmks  could be linked with the british "Company Raj" ???
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:28:52 PM by saro »