Author Topic: Anonymous copper: Ahmadshahi mint circa 1800 to 1900  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Anonymous copper: Ahmadshahi mint circa 1800 to 1900
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
Both coins are overstruck and weigh 3.2 grams. But what a pair!  One measures 19 mm across and the other 24mm.  Both have elements of Km # 24 in the standard catalog with one leaf between two swords and minted in Ahmadshahi.  In the larger coin, there is evidence of an ornate border similar to the one in Km #25. 
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Anonymous copper: Ahmadshahi mint circa 1800 to 1900
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
While the border looks like something out of Afghanistan KM 25, my guess would be that your coins are closer to KM 24. KM gives as date 1254 or 1255, which I see neither on your coins nor on the drawings in KM (I get as far as 125. on KM 25).

I have heard these types describe as "bazar coins" with the explanation that they were privately struck in the Kandahar bazar. The date sequence in KM suggests at least one new type per year. Since overstrikes are frequent, maybe leftover coins were re-struck every year?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Anonymous copper: Ahmadshahi mint circa 1800 to 1900
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
I agree Peter.  It certainly looks like re striking was frequent.  The catalog provided this information:  “Every few years, sometimes every year, coppers were recalled and re coined, at a fee, often substantial, which was paid to the mint master and formed his salary.”  No wonder re striking was common!  “This accounts for the large number of over struck pieces, which are generally less desirable than clear singly struck specimens.”
So much for my priceless over struck specimens!
I was impressed that the weights of the two coins were identical, though I suppose that could have been coincidence. 
richie