Author Topic: UMAYYAD PERIOD , POST-REFORM, AE FALS  (Read 570 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
UMAYYAD PERIOD , POST-REFORM, AE FALS
« on: September 28, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »
I've had this coin in my junk box for a long time, it's in rather poor condition but just spotted one the same on the internet

UMAYYAD PERIOD , POST-REFORM, AE FALS , 4.0 gm , 14 mm , OBV : IN FIELD  BISM ALLA LA ALLAH WAHDAHO / REV :  STAR IN CIRCLE LEGEND AROUND , REF # PL NO XXIV P 221 , POOL I P 178 , RARE.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:41:16 PM by THCoins »
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: UMAYYAD PERIOD , POST-REFORM, AE FALS
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
And that's why i also still have a small junk box with all sorts of unattributable coins. What could not be attributed yesterday, might simply reveal itself tomorrow !

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
When I see an encrusted coin such as this I imagine that it's like a hard shell & that a pristine coin is inside, shall I hit it with a hammer & find out  :D :D
Vic

Offline dohcollector

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:48:12 PM »
is there a way to remove that crust without harming the coin like ultrasound or something?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »
It's not a crust, but a copper coin. The metal has reacted chemically with other stuff, making the surface bubbly and rough.

Ultrasound is a great way to clean coins, just don't expect miracles. It works only on loose dirt. An encrusted coin (which this coin is not) is best treated with hot and cold baths to crack the crust. You can then work on the cracks with a wooden toothpick. The risk is that the crust contains only dust or tiny scraps of metal.

If you insist on using a hammer, try it out on your skull first. :wall:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.