Author Topic: Ex-Edwin Davis department store, Bond Street, Hull.  (Read 1203 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Ex-Edwin Davis department store, Bond Street, Hull.
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
One new pence token from the former Edwin Davis department store, Bond Street, Hull. copper, 19.2mm

Several times this 1p, along with a 2p, has been listed on eBay with a suggested location of the more famous Bond Street in London; which of course is incorrect.

Wikipedia

Hull City Council has issued a legal notice on the former Edwin Davis department store in Bond Street, city centre. It closed in the 1970s and, apart from a brief stint as a nightclub in the 1990s, has been empty ever since. it’s a post-war rebuild of an art deco department store which was bombed in the blitz, having already been rebuilt after a WW1 bombing. Its final incarnation was as a nightclub.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:44:40 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ex-Edwin Davis department store, Bond Street, Hull.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:41:04 PM »
Great research, Malcolm. From the photo, it looks like the lack of parking place did them in (echos of the Grace Brothers and "are you being served?" Do you think this was an advertising token?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
The token is from another of the loyalty/discount schemes similar to the use of the co-op tokens.

See the Williams Brothers letter here which gives a very good contemporary account.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:08:53 AM »
A 2 new pence token from the former Edwin Davis department store is on eBay at present
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 11:53:24 PM »
Post-decimalisation seems pretty late for metal tokens. Another thought occurred to me. The angle of the building, designed to impress, is old-fashioned as well. It feels like 1920 or 1930 style.

Afterthought: the Dutch word for shop, winkel, also used to mean corner (of two streets).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 12:26:18 AM »
I have been unable trace any earlier tokens of Edwin Davis but interestingly I found the building was severely bombed during WW2 so the building on the token is the post-war reincarnation of the former different, although similar, building.

See A Hull Lot Of History form more information.

Some of which may be seen below in the image.
Malcolm