Ujjain style early 19th century broad copper paisa: katar, trident, arrow

Started by Rangnath, April 28, 2009, 12:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Imagine!  13.3 grams and about 30 mm across filled with great symbols like the trident and katar.  But where is it from?  Indore seems logical, but I can't find an exact match.
richie

Salvete

It is another of those broad flan copies of Ujjain coins, the reverse is retrograde (pretty well ruling out Ujjain itself) and it is typically damaged and knocked about.  Page 103 and others of Lingen and Wiggins Sindhia book has a range of such coins.  30 mm is probably about as big as they get, but 25 to 30 is average for them.  Almost every one I have seen is a bit different, so there are probably a lot more types than have ever been illustrated or catalogued.  According to Dr Bhandare, these are part of the 'deep monetisation' precipitated by the 'Gardi-ka-Waqt' in central India.  That would suppose them to have been struck in roughly the forst two decades of the 19th century.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

Interesting. I guess that I have learned quite a lot in the last year, thanks to you and Oesho.  I think that these coins are highly desirable, with their combination of broad size and design. Can you imagine what beauties they must have been when first minted!
richie

Salvete

Yes, they are very impressive, Richie.  And can you imagine all the ill-gotten profit made by unscrupulous dealers selling them as 'Nazaranas'?!  :-\

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.