Indo-Greek Kingdom- Menander Tetradrachm - Bop. 12A

Started by Ancientnoob, July 14, 2015, 08:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancientnoob

The coin is not perfect and it is not without its problems. The surface has been cleaned but is beginning to tone down. I can credit this 2012 coin purchase with steering my collecting interests Eastward. (Westward to most people on earth.)

The coin in hand is amazing. The king's portrait is in surprisingly high relief. The coin is fairly thin over all but the king really stands out. The obverse legend is pretty clear and you can clearly see the kings name. BASILEWS SWTHROS MENANDPOY or Our King Menander the Savior. The reverse featuring the ornate Kharosthi legend (although 3/4 off flan) MAHARAJA TRATASA MENADRASA "the savior king. The reverse also features Athena Alkidemos (as protector of the city) Advancing with thunderbolt, reminiscent of the reverse of the tetradrachms of Alexander's successors in Macedonia.

Expert from wikipedia...

The Milinda Panha (Pali trans. "Questions of Milinda") is a Buddhist text which dates from approximately 100 BCE. It is included in the Burmese edition of the Pāli Canon of Theravada Buddhism as a book of the Khuddaka Nikaya; however, it does not appear in the Thai or Sri Lankan versions. A shorter version of it, however, is featured in Chinese Mahayana translations.

It purports to record a dialogue in which the Indo-Greek king Menander I (Pali Milinda) of Bactria, who reigned in the 2nd century BCE, poses questions on Buddhism to the sage Nāgasena.

Asia, Bactria
Indo-Greek Kingdom
House of Euthydemus
Menander I Soter (Milinda Panha) (r.BC 155-130)
AR Tetradrachm 26.5 mm x 9.63 grams.
Obverse: Diademed bust of Menander right. Greek Legend -BASILEWS SWTHROS MENANDROY
Reverse: Athena Alkidemos (as protector of the city) Advancing left with thunderbolt and Gorgon faced shield. Monograms Left and Right Fields; Kharosthi Legend-MAHARAJA TRATASA MENADRASA
Ref: SNG ANS 764-767. Bopearachchi 12A

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

THCoins

If you compare the greek name on the coin and your transcription you'll see that you miss one letter.
Apart from that, i have nothing to nag about. Some wear but a beautifull portrait. Part of the Kharoshti legend may be of flan, but the all important name is very nicely visible below Athena. I love it !

Ancientnoob

Excellent catch. What would I do with out you bud! ;)

P

- Publius Syrius

Figleaf

Congratulations, Ancientnoob. She's a well preserved beauty and you got all the details (=fun). Let me add just one more: Athena's invisible high heels. :) Ain't she pretty?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

echizento

THCoins

Here is one i previously showed. My Athena is a bit more detailed but the coin here is in an overall better conditon. If you look at the drachm also shown in this previous post you'll see the full Kharosthi legend. Did not pay close attention to this yesterday. But MAHARAJA TRATASA MENADRASA is also not fully correct. Reading anti-clockwise starting at about 3 o'clock it is MaHaRaJaSa TraTaRaSa and then beneath Athena, MeNamDraSa.

Ancientnoob

I have been reading an abridged version of the Milindapana. The dialog between Menander and the sage Nagasena. I cam across a bombshell, in the Questions of King Milinda written down in the century after Menander's death. c. 130 BC.

Menander appears well read and asks very specific questions, I wont ruin it for those who wish to read it, but lets say it sounds like "Stoner" couch talk.

Under the topic "Questions on Distinguishing Marks"

Menander asks the Nagasena what is the root of time. Nagasena, explains that he cannot know the root of time. (III,i)

Menander ask what he means by he cannot know the root of time.Then Nagasena hits him with surely an egg comes from a Hen, and a Hen from an egg and egg from a Hen.

My mind was blown I wonder if his was?

- Publius Syrius