Author Topic: Fatimid dinar of Az-Zahir  (Read 605 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Fatimid dinar of Az-Zahir
« on: July 07, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
This is (I think) a quite beautiful AV dinar of the Fatimid caliph Ali az-Zahir (411-427 / 1021-1036) with rather intricate inscriptions. Where can I find date and place? I'm lost at the moment.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Fatimid dinar of Az-Zahir
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »
Very nice coin! Loads of great detail. Compliments for taste.

Date and place would be in the outer circle, written out; no numbers. Within the circles are standard religious texts. Tried to finish Plant, but gave up on Kufic. However, I have seen such coins identified here before.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:31:54 AM »
Thanks! I hope someone can help. If I only knew where to start. I have the book of Plant.
23,50 mm, 4,24 gr.
-- Paul
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:48:10 PM by Pellinore »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
I've managed to find your coin in Nicol's Corpus of Fatimid Coins, where it is No. 1594, your particular die is illustrated as 1594a in the plates.

The coin is from al-Mahdiyah (now Mahdia in Tunisia https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mahdia&redirect=no ), and was struck in 419 H.
The extra letters (below the right end of the second line on the obverse) are apparently characteristic for al-Mahdiyah.

I attach an annotated (with the essential help of Plant as usual) image showing where the mint and date are on the coin. Unfortunately your piece is slightly double struck at the end of the mint and over 'in the year' so my dividing lines might not be exact around there.

This position (about 8 o'clock to 1 o'clock anticlockwise) is pretty standard for the mint and date on Umayyad, Abbasid, Fatimid, Samanid and other earlier issues.

Alan

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
I've managed to find your coin in Nicol's Corpus of Fatimid Coins, where it is No. 1594, your particular die is illustrated as 1594a in the plates.

The coin is from al-Mahdiyah (...), and was struck in 419 H.
The extra letters (below the right end of the second line on the obverse) are apparently characteristic for al-Mahdiyah.
Alan

Thanks, Alan, for your detailed solution. I didn't dare hope date and mint were on the coin (it wasn't in the description when I bought it). Now I understand which is the obverse. I really love the design and the calligraphy. It is my first Fatimid coin. Thank you very much!
-- Paul