Author Topic: An new exciting ugly Western Satrapa AR drachm  (Read 1804 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
An new exciting ugly Western Satrapa AR drachm
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »
Just bought this coin over the internet (slightly contrast enhanced sellers pics). It was sold as an unattributed Western Satrapa AR drachm. It is severely worn, and was correspondingly cheap.

The nice thing about this coin, and why i bought it, is that the sellers picture does in fact show everything one needs for a reliable attribution. And it is not a Western Satrapa coin. It is a Gupta AR drachm.
The majority of Gupta drachms were issued under Kumaragupta. The issues from his successor Skandagupta are a bit scarcer. But this drachm is of the scarcest category, as it was issued under the predecessor of Kumaragupta, Chandragupta II (ca375-414AD).

The overlay shows a part of the text that is clearly readable: "Sri GuPtaKuLa". Now, that is not part of the text that one would expect on the Chandragupta drachms. References generally tell that this reads "Paramabhāgavata Maharajadhiraja Sri Chandragupta Vikramāditya".
However, another scarce variety of the Chandragupta silver drachm is known, in which he declares himself as a member of the Gupta family (Kula). The text on these reads: "Sriguptakulālankārasva Rājadhiraja Sri Chandragupta Vikramānkasya". In literature these coins are also described as the "Sri GuptaKula" variant. And that's just the part that is unmistakenly clear on this coin. But also other parts of the inscriptions are compliant with the published reading.

So in short, this is a Ar Drachm issued under Chandragupta II (ca375-414AD), and of this, the scarce "Sri Guptakula"variant.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:28:49 PM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: An new exciting ugly Western Satrapa AR drachm
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:54:23 AM »
Congratulations on the latest addition to your coin harem, TH! Thanks for posting it here. I share your excitement. Your story shows quite clearly how important it is to understand all the elements on a coin. That's not easy, but, as your overlay shows, very rewarding (I guess the overlay shows the pic above upside down.) This coin has recovered its full historic importance through your efforts.

You are a bit spoilt on quality, if I may say so. I'd gladly have gone for this coin without knowing a thing about it. Contemporary European coins are, comparatively speaking, real dogs.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:03:37 AM »
Congratulations Anthony . Very nice research also.

Anjan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:57:15 AM »
You are a bit spoilt on quality, if I may say so.

You may say everything  ;) I still think quality is poor when the seller describes the coin as having a three arched hill in the centre of the reverse when it is supposed to be a peacock..

Offline Ancientnoob

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
A most excellent coin of an excellent ruler. This is the same Chandragupta that dedicated the Iron pillar? I have been on the hunt for a Chandragupta II. I have a decent Kumaragupta, but doesn't everyone?
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
In the past i believe people have tried to associate the iron pillar with the earlier Chandragupta Maurya. As far as i know the current view is that it was indeed erected under Chandragupta II.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »
Souvenir of the iron pillar. It was raining hard and it didn't rust.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:07:12 AM »
Great photo ! Seeing it like this it is even more amazing that it has been standing there for 1000 years.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
An new exciting ugly Western Satrapa AR drachm
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »
More details about the iron pillar here. Amazing engineering!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.