Author Topic: New catalogue of Bhutanese coins  (Read 2145 times)

Offline vercrusse

New catalogue of Bhutanese coins
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
Fellow collectors,

I just finished my first catalogue on Bhutanese coins ..  based on a study of about 3.200 coins.  It has been sent for printing 2 days ago and will be out for sale on May 15.
Here is a small commercial text.  A pdf-flyer can be obtained by sending an email to vercrusse.coins@gmail.com.  Uploading it here is not possible .. to large.

I haven't been here for quite some time, but I wanted to finish the catalogue first.  Based on what I read on this forum, I know it is not finished ...

"
This catalogue is the result of a 10 year study.
After buying my first 100 pieces in 2005, for ½ EUR a piece, I decided to write a real catalogue in 2008.  An intermediate publication was posted in 2010 on the internet and is still available.
It was however in 2011, after studying the entire collection of N.G. Rhodes, that the current cataloguing system got shaped. 
During these 10 years, approximately 3.200 coins were studied. 
•   2.400 of them are included in the study
•   300 are awaiting cataloguing at my place. Most of them are difficult to catalogue, mainly because of poor quality.  These will be part of future addendums.
•   The others passed my hand but where not photographed, weighted of measured.  They are part of some interesting collections not owned by me … So when I should have some time, they will be included

The coins are catalogued according to a real cataloguing system leading to more than 230 different types and 675 varieties.  You will find 680 pictures, one from each variety.  From many types I was able to recompose the rubbing based on the coins I found.

The catalogue also contains many never published coins among one gold, several gold wash and other, quite surprising pieces.  I’am sure you will enjoy it.

Since collecting Bhutanese coins is never ending journey ,this book is only a starting point as it is my intention to publish all of this on the internet in a few years, once all the books are sold.  A kind of Wikipedia for Bhutanese coins, where everyone can add information. 

In the meantime I will publish yearly and addendum with new types, variations and improved pictures, when available.  After registering, you will immediately receive a PDF containing an overview with all types and the yearly overview.  Just after I sent the book for printing, I acquired a fantastic lot of coins containing several varieties and types.  A never ending story …
"

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:31:01 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: New catalogue of Bhutanese coins
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 12:37:56 PM »
Congratulations on finishing the book.

If you post necessary details, I'd be happy to take your book up in our bibliography (see column headings of the tables.)

We have already installed the Wikipedia software, so if you are interested, you can set up the encyclopedia on this site (free).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline vercrusse

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 12:57:02 PM »
Hi Figleaf,

Thank you, took a lot of time and patience. 

ISBN = 9789090289403
Subject = Bhutan
Author = Kris Van den Cruyce, Belgium
Title = The coinage of Bhutan up to the mid-20th century

Price = 65 EUR, will be a bit higher when selling via ebay.

The book is a hardcover, A4 size with 176 pages of information and (large) pictures. 

Information can be obtained by sending an email to vercrusse.coins@gmail.com
Uploading everything to the internet will only happen when I recovered the cost for making the book  ;)

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »
We so long missed a catalogue of Bhutanese coins and now we have two. Funny! The prices are similar and even the number of pages is nearly indentical (179/176).

In the Journal of the ONS No 221 (Autumn 2014) Wolfgang Bertsch reviewed "The Coinage of Bhutan. An overview from the earliest times about 1790 until the first machine-struck coins in 1928" by Klaus Bronny.

Offline bububoy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 04:30:12 AM »
Dear Kris,
Hearty Congratulations on the "pit stop", of this long journey of Cataloging the coins of Bhutan.
Going by the sheer number of coins you have mentioned, i can understand the effort and great work which has gone in getting out this book !
mahe

Offline vercrusse

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
Thank you.  I also learned that cataloguing is one thing but making the photo's clear, sharp, ... and ready for printing in a book requires a lot of time.

I attached the cover of the book.