Author Topic: Some other bull and horseman jitals that were still missing  (Read 1061 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Some other bull and horseman jitals that were still missing
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
For most collectors, having a single nice Bull and Horseman Jital will be enough. Focussing a bit on these, there are very many variants to be found. And because most people don't care, looking for these can be a rewarding undertaking.
The coin shown here is not particularly attractive. It was offered as a jital of Delhi Raja Ananga Pala, and i would have passed it if it was. To my good fortune however, the characters above the horses head do not seem to fit as part of the name Ananga. To support that, there are characters in front of the horse which fit much better with the degraded text fragment as present on the earlier Samanta Deva Jitals. Most Samanta Deva Jitals have the character "Bhi" behind the horsemans head. In front of the horsemans head usually is a single symbol which might be the remnant of an arm plus part of the edge text. However, there are some rarer jitals in which there are different or multiple symbols in front of the horseman. I showed a Tye#16 type earlier.
In this coin the leftmost character in front of the horsemans head can probably be read as the Nagari character "Te" fitting with type Tye#29. The meaning of this symbol is unknown but it may be mint or issuer related. In style the coin is very much like the Delhi Raja types, so possibly it predates these by only a short time. AR 17 mm, 3.09 grams.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:40:13 AM by THCoins »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Another bull and horseman jital that was still missing, Tye#29
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
To paraphrase that, the seller was knowledgable enough (or at least had the right books) to recognise the Delhi rajas style, but it took the knowledge of the characters to identify the coin correctly. An objective lesson in the importance of expertise for making pieces of history. Very satisfactory story, Anthony! Exemplary picture as well.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Some other bull and horseman jitals that were still missing
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:31:05 AM »
The next item has the same subject as the former. I try to fill in some gaps in the index, this one was still missing.
It is also nice to present the contrast between the later B&H jitals, like the one above, and the earlier ones like the next. So i did not make a new thread.

Also in this one the distinguishing feature is the symbol in front of the horseman. In this case it is a "Ta"character. The style of the coin very much resembles that of the coins under the name of Khudarayaka which are dated around 870 AD. The upper part of the coin still gives an inpression of the very high relief these coins originally had. This allowed for a lot of wear, still keeping the picture intact. The recessed part of the relief around the shoulder of the horseman is not due to wear. This is where the backside of the rump is located on the other side of the coin. Likely there was not enough silver here to fill both dies with striking.
AR 19 mm, 3.3 grams, Tye#15