Author Topic: 1873 Russian 2 Kopek with doubling and a dot  (Read 907 times)

Offline amnight

1873 Russian 2 Kopek with doubling and a dot
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:44:53 AM »
I'm not familiar with Russian coins at all and would like some help in determining if there are any types of errors here or anything out of the ordinary? I believe there is some doubling which could be mechanical but I am not sure. Also there is a small dot between the K and O on the side with the date on it (I added an arrow to show this). All help is very much appreciated! Thank you for your time! Here are pics.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1873 Russian 2 Kopek with doubling and a dot
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
I see doubling on image 456, 459 and 461 and the dot on 462.

The doubling looks like a pressure problem, making the die jump. This is a reasonably common occurrence on coins struck in great haste or in very large quantities. The doubling here is not enormous and may be difficult to see with the coin in hand. The dot is likely a small pit on the die, maybe from a dropped tool or a moment of inattention with an engraving tool, maybe a spot of rust on the die that has been cleaned away.

The Russian coin scene is changing fast, so I don't know what the situation is now. In the past, there would have been little demand for error coins and people would have concentrated on patterns instead.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.