Author Topic: Spanish Oran  (Read 962 times)

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Spanish Oran
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »
My newest African coin: 8 Maravedis, 1691, Oran.  :D

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Spanish Oran
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
Fascinating coin: though I knew about Ceuta, etc., I hadn't been aware that Spain had held Oran as well.

Alan

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:23:14 PM »
Yes, Ceuta and Melilla are still now Spanish towns and their problem, not only because the masses of African fugitives, but also because of Gibraltar. If they claim to loud for Gibraltar, how can they hold these two towns.
The worst case for Spain would be Britain giving Gibraltar back to them, as Morocco would immediately want these towns back ...  ;D

Oran was held 1509 - 1708 by the Spanish. More common are the coins of 1618, which are even listed in my old KM:

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
Difficult to come by, Afrasi and looking pretty well preserved.

It is easy to forget for how long Islam and Christianity have fought. Spain was a frontier state, hardening its religious attitudes. I find this coin is spiteful in design, with its large IHS monogram. The Spanish empire was otherwise quite centralised and the same designs were used everywhere around the globe - except in Oran. The coin was struck in Madrid (mintmark MD to left of shield), close to the central government and the king was mentally unable to govern. The Spanish government was in even more disarray after 1677, so it will be difficult to come up with a name of a person responsible for this issue.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.