Author Topic: Imperial China: Han Wu Zhu Chicken Eye  (Read 960 times)

Offline Ancientnoob

Imperial China: Han Wu Zhu Chicken Eye
« on: March 27, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
I was wondering if there is any information floating around about this coin type. I absolutely love it and it always seems to be the conversation piece. I acquired this coin as a freebie from a seller I have done business with for quite a few years. The specimen is heavily encrusted and might benefit from some attention, but I wouldn't attempt any type of further cleaning, its just so small.

I am a firm believer that in an age of credit, it is important to have at least a small amount of cash on hand.

11 mm x 0.61 grams
Hartill 10.29?

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Imperial China: Han Wu Zhu Chicken Eye
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:52:17 AM »
Hartill 10.29 apparently covers a whole group of these tiny issues: mine is a little larger than yours at 13 mm and 0.77 gm, and has a bar across the top of the hole.

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
Rather than encrusted, I think the original metal has reacted with an exogenous chemical. If so, any attempt to clean would damage what is left.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Ancientnoob

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »
Thanks Peter. Noted. Great observation.
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »
The 11mm piece is a specific coin, well known.   Schjoth and Ding attribute it differently, and not the same apparently as current numismatics.   This is not my area, although I have one.   I searched for it at Zeno when realizing my piece was probably mis-attributed, but could not find them there at all.   That was looking in the politically complicated period between Han and Tang, for which many attributions are only now being settled.   

Hartill is scrambled somewhat, I am told, for Wu-chu attributions, although that would be in part because they are often based on such minute characteristics, which rubbings wouldn't pick up definitively.   I would suggest finding the 11mm type in Hartill (I have only his Ching book) and go to that section of Zeno.   There should be lots of them.