News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Nakhchivan - Russian fantasy

Started by Pabitra, March 27, 2015, 03:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

NAKATHEVAN - RUSSIA 5 COINS SET 2015

<k>

It think it's "in the name of" (though definitely unofficial!) Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, which is an exclave of Azerbaijan and does not border Russia. Why the legend is in Russian is therefore a mystery to me. It must be aimed at the Russian fantasy market.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Pabitra

When they include a bimetallic, then you can assume that it is meant for European bimetallic collectors. My information is that usually such sets can be got made from Poland's mint, if you place an order for 1000 sets or more.

FosseWay

The legend is in both Russian and a Turkic language. Azerbaijan is of course a former republic of the USSR and it would not surprise me if Russian has an official status there. Alternatively it may be that the Nakhichivan enclave has solicited support from Putin to further its own ends and official acceptance of Russian is a tangible way of showing gratitude.

Figleaf

Don't know what happens in the Azeri lands, but in Kazakstan and Uzbekistan, the general situation is that Islam, western script and the local language, are claimed by the local dictator and cyrillic, Russian orthodoxy and language are treated as foreign. In practice, after generations of Soviet education, Russian is the language of the cities and the local language is found mostly among elderly farmers.

Very similar sets coming about not too long ago, were said to have been made by private Chinese companies.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

In case they are made by Chinese mints then I find it rather strange that they are sold more and lower prices in Berlin Money Fair than Hong Kong or Singapore coin shows.
I understand that this is not a correct logic since economies of scale would change the logistics computations.