News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Andaman and Nicobar Islands fantasies

Started by <k>, January 16, 2011, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

We are barely into 2011, and now it seems that the Andaman and Nicobar Islands need their own fantasy set.

The bi-metallic 20 Rupees pictures a Nautilus.  The bi-metallic 10 Rupees depicts a Dugong.  An Indian Wild Boar is on the 5 Rupees.  A Coconut Crab is shown on the 2 Rupees.  The 1 Rupee has a Kuhl's Flying Gecko.  A Stork-billed Kingfisher is on the 50 Paisa, and the Andaman clubtail butterfly is on the 25 Paise.  The arms of the islands is on the obverse of each coin.  Only 10,000 sets were minted.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

Any idea which mint issued these 'coins'? Indian government should take action against the mint as it is illegal. No private company/mint can issue coins for India or Indian territories without government's permission..

And if we believe that the Andaman and Nicobarese rupee is pegged to Indian rupee as 1:1, will it be a legal tender in rest of the India?  ;D >:D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

The set is from Joel Anderson's site, which points out that it is an unofficial set. I can't see any designer initials that would allow me to identify the artist and therefore mint. Illegal, then? Will India be sending out the bombers?

The UK has also had unofficial sets issued in its name, for instance the "pattern euros".  ;D

Andy thinks the Nicobar and Andaman pieces have been issued by the Roger Williams Mint (USA).
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

One Chinese seller on e-bay has already sold 28 sets and he's still having many for sale.  :o So my guess is that these coins are 'Made in China'  ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.