The Krauwinckels of Nuremberg

Started by muntenman, May 20, 2007, 07:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

translateltd

On the third one I think I can make out IO at about the 3:00 position, and wonder if it might be IORG SCHVLTES - browsing through http://www.mernick.org.uk/Bexley/article3.htm I see one with his name, and also mention of the fact that many early ones bore nonsense legends, which might explain why I can't make any sense of the lettering on the reverse of this piece or on either side of the second, the heavy wear/corrosion notwithstanding!  The lettering also looks Lombardic on the 2nd and 3rd pieces, which might also suggest an earlier series.

More tomorrow, anyway, from various Schultes, Krauwinckels and Laufers.  Nearly all of them came from a single "scratch tray" here in NZ in the mid-1980s.  No idea where they had been before then.

rechenpfennig

There is a good catalogue about the counters made by Iorg, Hans and Georg Schultes, Kilian Koch, and Damianus, Egidius and Hans Krauwinckel, all Nuremberg-masters: "Rechenpfennige" Band 1, Nürnberg. Signierte und zuweisbare Gepräge", written by Franz Stalzer (ISBN 3-9800744-6-3 and punlished by the Staatliche Münzsammlung München (Munich, Germany).
http://www.staatliche-muenzsammlung.de. Please ask the SMM if there are still catalogues to sell.....
"Stalzer" describes 52 rose/orb-counters made by Iorg, 128 from Hans, 2 from Georg Schultes, 11 from Kilian Koch, 15 from Damianus and 25 from Egidius Krauwinckel. From Hans Stalzer shows 123 rose/orb-counters.....  Most of them are very common.
Stalzer was published in 1989 and since then many new rose/orb counters are known.
Mitchiner (The medieval period and Nuremberg) has many rose/orb-counters too.

Together with Bob Levinson (USA) I'm working on a Band 2. Rechenpfennige, Family Lauffer (Wolf I, II, III, Hans I en II, Mathaus, Conrad, Cornelius and Lazarus Gottlieb) in which till now we have gathered over 100 rose/orb-counters. Band 2 includes a supplement on band 1 with some new special rose/orb-counters, but there are so many more counters not published in Stalzer that we didn't put them in the supplement.

(be continued)
I collect (Nuremberg) counters and write articles about them.

rechenpfennig

About the serie of 3 rose/orb placed  by translateltd   (: the last two are anonymous counters with fictious legends. The earliest I assume are made in France but most of them are made in Nuremberg.
The first one is a (till now by me) unknown piece made by Egidius Krauwinckel,he worked in Nuremberg from 1570-1613. He signed all his rose/orbs with his full name, but together with Stalzer describes 3 rose/orb-counters which are a coproduction Egidius/Hans (S 354-356)
They are signed with initials EK. I would like to have beteer pictures of them (with white underground) with diameter in cm and weight in grams. I will discuss with Bob if these one is special enough for the supplement.
An interesting piece: this is the  first rose/orb from Egidius with only his initials.
Freek Groenendijk (NL)
I collect (Nuremberg) counters and write articles about them.

translateltd

Quote from: rechenpfennig on January 14, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
The first one is a (till now by me) unknown piece made by Egidius Krauwinckel,he worked in Nuremberg from 1570-1613. He signed all his rose/orbs with his full name, but together with Stalzer describes 3 rose/orb-counters which are a coproduction Egidius/Hans (S 354-356)
They are signed with initials EK. I would like to have beteer pictures of them (with white underground) with diameter in cm and weight in grams. I will discuss with Bob if these one is special enough for the supplement.
An interesting piece: this is the  first rose/orb from Egidius with only his initials.
Freek Groenendijk (NL)

Happy to help - please PM me with your direct e-mail address and I'll send you a larger photo on a white background.  I'll weigh and measure it at the same time.

Figleaf

I am gratified again. Research is served. Thanks, Martin.

If anyone else has any counters, please show them. As you can see from the above, you never know what may come up and by helping Freek, you help yourself.

Good luck with the book, Freek!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Specifications of my three items illustrated above:

1. Diameter 22.5 - 24 mm, weight 1.09g
2. Diameter 25 - 25.5 mm, weight 1.69g
3. Diameter 23 - 24 mm, weight 1.31g

translateltd

No. 4.

This one is similar to the one Dale posted originally:

Obv ("orb" side, for consistency): GOTES REICH BLIBT EWIGK
Rev: HANNS KRAUWINCKEL IN NVR
Bronze, 21 mm, 1.19g

translateltd

No. 5.

Obv: GOTES SEGEN MACHT REICH
Rev: HANNES KRAVWINCKEL IN NVR

Bronze, 18-20mm, 0.89g

translateltd

No. 8, possibly the nicest-looking of this bunch.

Obv. VERBVM DOMINI MANET IN AETERN
Rev. HANNS KRAVWICKEL IN NVRENBE

Brass, 24 - 24.5 mm, 1.54g

translateltd

No. 9, different type this time: Orb/Lion of St Mark, overstruck on another jeton, with undertype showing through in parts, obscuring the legend on both sides:

Obv. HAN ... WINCKEL NVRENBER *
Rev. S MARCVS EVANGEL ... SIT

Brass, thick flan, 27 - 28 mm, 10.55g

malj1

HANS KRAVWINCKEL IN NVR ℞. GOTES SEGEN MACHT REICHT

My first of these -I dug this one when I was 14 yrs old.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

HANS KRAVWINCKEL IN NVRBE ℞. GETRIVW.HANDT.KOMBT.DVRCHALLE
Malcolm

malj1

HANS KRAVWINCKEL IN NVRBE ℞. DAI WORT .....
Malcolm

malj1

HANS KRAVWINCKEL IN NV ℞. GOTES REICH BLIBT EWICK
Malcolm

Figleaf

Quote from: malj1 on January 15, 2012, 12:24:36 AM
HANS KRAVWINCKEL IN NVRBE ℞. DAI WORT .....

DAS WORT GOTS BLEIT EWICKLICH (god's word remains forever)

Great stuff. Thank you!
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.