Voting 2015

Started by Figleaf, January 11, 2015, 11:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which articles posted in 2015 should be included on the Best of WoC board?

Sima-sen groups
17 (41.5%)
Silver rupees of Shah Jahan
24 (58.5%)
The Netherlands: Collectors Coins 2004-2011
18 (43.9%)
A deity worthy of respect
21 (51.2%)
Nguyen Phuc Anh: from fugitive to emperor of a united Vietnam
16 (39%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: January 01, 2016, 08:47:14 PM

Prosit

Me too

Dale

Quote from: malj1 on December 22, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
As all the topics are outside of my subject and collecting interests I don't feel I can differentiate between these.  :(

Figleaf

The subject of the articles is not the issue. It is all about quality: does the article give you an insight you didn't have before, does it have depth or creativity, do you find it interesting, enjoyable or amusing reading, does it look like the product of research and thinking? Those are the questions before you. Don't wait for something you could have written yourself or you may never vote.

The only reason for not voting I can think of is favouring your friends. That's exactly what this exercise is not about. It is about rewarding good numismatic work only.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

That hits on my indirect point that I failed to make. It isn't that the articles are or are not well written or comprehensive. It is that since they weren't about an area I have an interest in at this time, I haven't read a single one. Unfortunately for me, with my current other interests and schedule, these days there are far more posted to WoC's that I don't read than there is that I do read. The last few days I have looked a little more but that meant sacrificing a half dozen other things I needed or wanted to do. Hopefully that will change someday.

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on December 22, 2015, 10:34:36 PM
The subject of the articles is not the issue. It is all about quality: does the article give you an insight you didn't have before, does it have depth or creativity, do you find it interesting, enjoyable or amusing reading, does it look like the product of research and thinking? Those are the questions before you. Don't wait for something you could have written yourself or you may never vote.

The only reason for not voting I can think of is favouring your friends. That's exactly what this exercise is not about. It is about rewarding good numismatic work only.

Peter

Figleaf

Two of the articles are now halfway and one is not far behind, but there is only a week or so to go. However, I worry about the number of votes cast. With 12 voters today, there were a maximum of 60 votes to distribute and we have only half of the maximum. Remember that the only question before you is whether the nominated articles are worthy of a "Best of World of Coins" medal, please. That question is only about the quality level of the articles.

You have five votes. Use them well.

You can change your vote by deleting it and starting over.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

I find my self in the same position too, malj1

malj1

Quote from: Pabitra on December 24, 2015, 02:19:26 AM
I find my self in the same position too, malj1

:like:

Quote from: Figleaf on December 22, 2015, 10:34:36 PM
It is all about quality: does the article give you an insight you didn't have before, does it have depth or creativity, do you find it interesting, enjoyable or amusing reading, does it look like the product of research and thinking?

Peter

I have no idea about any of these things on a subject I know nothing about, it might look to be great research etc. but is it right? I have absolutely no idea.  ???
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Many people know nothing about wine, but they know what they like when they drink it. You usually don't have a clue how correct a newspaper article is, yet you have a favourite newspaper. You can use the same skills here. All those who voted did. The articles are always very diverse. Nobody can cover all the fields, yet, they all voted as a sign of their appreciation.

Peter

Figleaf

Tonight, an article passed the threshold. That's one happy author. Don't give up on the others. It ain't over yet, but we have less than a week to go.

Peter

Figleaf

We now have a second winner and two articles are getting close. Only three more days to go!

Peter

Figleaf

We have a third winner and number four is very close. The last one has gotten far, but will take a minor miracle to get through with only two days to go. Unless ... voters use more votes. Remember that you have FIVE votes. On average, voters have used just slightly over two votes.

If you want to change your votes, just delete them and you can start over. There still is time, but it is fast running out now.

Also important to note: this is not a popularity contest. Participants can win electronic medals, but not a first place. The question is just if this group thinks that the articles nominated are worthy of the medal.

Peter

Figleaf

We have yet another winner! We are now only ONE VOTE away from a 100% success. It ought to be possible.

Peter

Figleaf

Done. Forty-one of you voted in ALL nominations. Congratulations to the four winners. Their article will be edited by Fosseway, who's a pro editor. A big thank you to all voters. They made all of you winners. What makes WoC special is quality. It showed here. We voted in another batch to be proud of.

Peter

mitresh

Congratulations to all winners and a Big Thanks to all those who voted.

Happy New Year 2016 to all.

Mitresh
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

bgriff99

Thanks, everybody, and Happy New Year.

TIF

Wow, thanks for the recognition!  Happy new year, everyone.  May it bring many coins and much happiness :)