News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Luxembourg: Two €2 Commemorative Coins in 2015

Started by Bimat, December 30, 2014, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Luxembourg will issue two €2 commemorative coins next year (3 in case there's a common issue). Themes will be:

- 200th Anniversary of the founding of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

- Luxembourg Presidency of the Council of the Europe Union

No images at present but don't expect any thrilling design... ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

The rumor mill is still in full swing, it seems. From what I have read, the themes of the two commems will be

* the 15th anniversary of Henri's accession (he became grand duke in 2000), and
* the 125th anniversary of Luxembourg's "family dynasty" of Nassau-Weilburg.

And no, I do not expect anything thrilling. ;)

Christian

chrisild

This is the design planned for the "Throne Accession" coin. It features the mandatory portrait of Grand Duke Henri, along with the 2000 and 2015 dates, and also shows Grand Duchess María Teresa. The inscription says "15e anniversaire de l'accession au trône de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc". Should be issued in May ...

Christian

Bimat

Commemorative coin to mark throne anniversary

Published on Friday, 12 June, 2015 at 12:24

(CS) The Luxembourg Central Bank has released a commemorative two-euro coin to mark 15 years since Grand Duke Henri succeeded his father to the Luxembourg throne.

The release of the coin comes several months ahead of the official anniversary on October 7.

A card featuring the coin, limited to 7,500 copies, is available for 10 euros. Sets of 25 coins are available for 58 euros.

The commemorative coin has also been included in a new set dedicated to the town of Echternach. It contains a full set of euro coins, including the anniversary two-euro piece. The set is a limited edition of 6,000 copies and available for 30 euros.

Packages of five full sets of coins minted in 2015, including the special two-euro piece, are also available for 45 euros.

The items are available for purchase from the BCL in 43 Avenue Monterey or the bank's e-shop. Orders can also be placed via telephone (+352 4774-4994) or email (coins@bcl.lu).

Source: Luxemburger Wort
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Illioplius

I wonder why some Luxembourgish coins are in Luxembourgish language and some in French.

Figleaf

Looks like a typical civil servants' compromise to me. The majority's first language is Letzeburgesch, a language that is proper to an area centred on Luxembourg. The grand ducal family speaks French.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.