News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Spain: 8 maravedis, overstruck

Started by andyg, December 26, 2014, 11:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

In Madrid (now a little over 12 months ago) at the coin market I picked up five copper coins, didn't pay much for them so I expect them to be quite common - however there is not much on the internet (at least that I've been able to find) other than the ubiquitous ebay "pirate coin" auctions.  Does anyone have any better references for these?

6.3g, copper, overstruck VIII and 1629 overstruck 1641
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Arminius

Andy, you may check my album "Spain and the Spanish Empire".

Focus on pages 10-17 where i attributed about 100 of them.

Start here:

http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=180&page=10

regards

Figleaf

The host has the B mintmark for Burgos. According to Cayón, no copper was struck after 1626 for Philip IV until 1660. As inflation was raging and the coppers were counterstamped in the 40's and 50s, I think Cayón is right. One option is that the last digit is an error 6, punched upside down.

The countermark was evidently applied in 1641. Confusingly, this 8 maravedis is re-valued ... 8 maravedis.

Strange, but perhaps the host is a contemporary counterfeit. It may have been recognised as such and found that it contained enough copper to circulate officially for 8 maravedis!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Thanks both (Arminius that's a nice website!)

I wonder if this is 1625 (with one of those old fashioned fives) rather than '9' ?
Might explain the date.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

I though of 1625, but it kept looking like a nine. :-\ Moreover, the countermark having the same denomination as the host makes no sense. Keep in mind that there was a large shortage of coins. It would have looked expedient to countermark acceptable weight fakes, so that they could circulate officially.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Arminius

Often it´s nearly impossible to attribute these overstruck, clipped and off-center issues without additional cleaning plus the coin in one´s own hand.
Sometimes i have to "dive" into these issues by reading the literature and comparing similar types for some while til i think i might be qualified for an attribution.

So a quick long distance assessment of these based on one single flat screen pic is imaginable and a nice support - but often very useless.

W.