News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Gypsy woman or Bicycle?

Started by malj1, December 27, 2014, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Audigier chemin de bellevue Chamalieres rev. Gitane all incuse, Brass, 28.5mm
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

I thought ciggies initially but that has an 's' on the end.  ::)

So I'd say the proprietor was Audigier and perhaps he sold bicycles?
Chemin de Bellevue, 63400 Chamalières, Auvergne
Nothing obvious on google maps...........
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Maybe attached to a bicycle in some way? its a nicely made blank, cut using a lathe and then hand lettered.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Redwine is right for name and address. I found one shop, on the corner of blvd Gambetta, but it (now?) has another purpose. There is supposed to be a butcher shop on number 20, but I can't see it on Google maps street view. I think the missing S is a spelling error. The token is obviously handmade.

Not sure where you see bicycles coming in or even how it would be of use on a bicycle. I can see how Mr. Audigier could have had an automatic distributor outside his tobacco shop (he is likely also to have sold newspapers and magazines, all losing propositions) that he didn't want to be destroyed because some local drunk thought there was money in it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

See Wikipedia

"Gitane is a French manufacturer of bicycles based in Machecoul, France...."

I was thinking this 'Audigier chemin de bellevue Chamalieres' was a distributor.
Malcolm