please can you identified

Started by gerard974, December 07, 2014, 03:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerard974

hello
i have this token weight 2.84 grammes and metal laiton ,i dont know what is this .

best regards  Gerard

FosseWay

This one seems similar, but with la génie de la République instead of the cockerel on the non-value side.

Still no idea about when it was made, by whom or for what purpose, though. Whoever added it to numista attributes it to the Second Republic, i.e. the revolutionary government of 1848. I've no idea what evidence there is to support such a claim. To my eyes both yours and the one I linked to look more recent than that.

I suspect toy money or a gaming counter.

gerard974

hello
Thank you very much,is a very long time that i have,when i have started my collection in 2002 ,and i have never find what is it
best regards  gerard

maxmissy

These tokens were used when playing cards, and, of course, were fakes ( End of XIX° / Beginning of XX° )
Yours is probably a brass shell card ( " jeton en laiton fourré " ), as the right one on my picture, which has a genius on the reverse instead of a rooster

maxmissy

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous post
Yours is probably made of brass, like the left one on my picture, but the ring has been cut

malj1

I can see the tell-tale mark where the tag has been removed on Gerard's one. This is always the clue to look for.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

gerard974

hello
thank you very much,i have see with the binocular and the ring is cut
best regards  gerard